News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Want to restore sound

Started by DVO, February 04, 2007, 01:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVO

As a result of a derailment, the double wire from the tender to the locomotive that is the connection for the amplified sound feature pulled itself out of the back of the tiny plug-in jack. I reinserted the wires into the back of the jack and plugged the jack back into the little socket (at the back of the locomotive). No sound. Retried repeatedly, including skinning off the insulation and reinserting the wires repeatedly, but no sound. I'm not an electrician. Are than any suggestions short of purchasing a new locomotive-tender set?

Loco Bill Canelos

DVO,

Since it was working before the deraililment, it may be just pressing the wires back into the plug may not be enough to make contact.  Y ou can check to see if the sound module works by touching the ends of the two wires together momentaily to see if the chuff sound can be heard.  If it is not heard then be sure you haven't turned down the volume or shut the sound off.  If the sound works, then you will have to replace the plug.

Good luck.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Curmudgeon

I am trying to comprehend what you are talking about exactly.
If this is a 4-6-0 (even Anniversary), the plug is designed to pull out in the even of a derailment.
If you have cut and stripped wires, and have no background in soldering small parts, stop now.
You will need to have someone fix the plug for you or replace it.
What part of the country?

There is a slide up-and-down on-off switch in the back of the locomotive, next to this plug.
If this is an Anniversary, the sound goes into left socket, switch in center, backup light on right socket.

Please fully describe locomotive type.

And, I probably have those harnesses.

TOC

DVO

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. It is a 4-6-0, in particular the "Pioneer" Atchison Topeka Santa Fe set. Unfortunately in the derailment the wires came out of the plug rather than the plug coming out of the socket. The plug remained in the socket and I had to remove the plug from the socket to examine the situation. The sound module does work. The chuff sound is heard loud and clear from the amplifier in the tender, upon the exposed red and black wires contacting each other. My basic problem is how to, either re-set the wires into the plug, or replace either the plug or the wire-and-plug. I don't know how to reconnect it, and I don't know if it is possible to acquire replacement of just the plug or just the plug-and-wire,  without an expensive replacement of the tender car itself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Curmudgeon

That must have been some derailment.

I have some harnesses, so does Bachmann, one would think.
Polarity is unimportant.

If you got one with some crimp connectors, can you remove the tender shell, cut the wires close to where they go through the floor, remove old harness, string new one in, strip wires and crimp?

If you can, we can do it one way.
If not, we still have a couple of options.
TOC

DVO

What do the harness parts completely consist of? Would they include the plug that goes into the socket at the back of the locomotive, and wiring that is fully and firmly set into the plug?

Thank you very much for your help.

Curmudgeon

Yes, the wires (in shrink-wrap), and the plug.
I yank them out of engines undergoing conversions.

DVO

Are you saying you have such a harness available? If so how much do you want for it?

Thank you for your help.

Curmudgeon