News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC from ESU in K27 and 2-6-6-2

Started by Udo, March 01, 2009, 06:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Udo

Dear Bachmann,

I am an unpatient guy, so I could not wait for any information about installing ESU decoders in the 2-6-6-2.

Over the weekend, I just tried.

I used the additional prewired board from the acessory bag an just connected a ESU lok pilot (without sound) as described in your advice for the K27.

It was working perfect, motion / loghts etc.

I worried a littel bit to use the same bord in the K27, because the installed dummy boards look quite different.

The description in the manuals of both locos regarding the pin configuration are nearly the same, despite some minor difference (the 2-6-6-2 has two chuff connections).

So I just ried to plug the board from the 2-6-6-2 with the connected ESU lok pilot into the K 27.

It was working !

Motion / lights/ steam OK.

In the moment I cannot try the same with the ESU Loksound decoder, because I don't have them, I am waiting for it.

But to be prepared, I have some question:

The K27 has two optical sensors, one in each cylinder.

On the board you can choose by a jumper two or four chuffs per revolution.

The 2-6-6-2 also has two optical sensors, but in different drives (high / low pressure).

So, if I use the "Chuff 1" connection I have only two chuffs per revolution, correct ?

My question is: can I just put "Chuff 1" and "Chuff 2" together in the same input at the decoder to get 4 chuffs ?

That means in the K27 the jumper just connects the two sensors, correct ?

By the way, today I made a second prewired board with the cabling just like that from the 2-6-6-2 to be prepared for the installation in the K27. That material cost me less than 50 cents (I could make three bords out of that).

Thanks in advance for your comments !

Udo

jwoj69

I WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING DIGITRAXDZ123 WHICH IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY YOU HAVE TO SOLDER EACH WIRE TO PICKUP AND MOTOR. HOW IS THAT GOING TO WORK WITH THE SENSORS? DID ANYBODY TRY THAT YET? IF TOO MUCH TROUBLE, WHICH PLUGIN DCC WOULD WORK?

darkdaniel100

I too am interested to hear the answer to Udo's questions hopefully someone will have an answer!

Udo

Hello together !

Meanwhile I have installed the ESU Loksound XL decoder on my K 27.

I used a handmade adapter board.

It is working very well.

I connected all the ESU board via this adaptor board to the relevant connections on the main board. The only problem was the front and rear light. It was like "candle" light only.

So I connected the lights direct to the ESU board with an 820 Ohm resistor (each light). May bew the reason for the candlelight was my supply voltage of 16 Volts only. But now it works perfect.

By the way I found out that the main board of my K 27 has no jumper for the choice of the chuffs per revolution. Instead of the jumper the pins are just soldered together.

I think, this is a "secret" update from Bachmann, same "secret" as the power pick up update on the tender.

Additional I installed a small ventilator (24 Volts) in the tender to keep it cool. For the ventilation I drilled some holes in the base plate of the tender to suck the air in and some other small opening just under the covers on both sides of the removable tender front plate (not visible after installation) to let the ventilation air out. I only could get a 24 V ventilator here in China, but it works well with the 12 V output on the main board.

Next I will do the installation of the ESU sound in the 2-6-6-2.

Regatding the question with the two chuff exits on the main board, I will just try to connect them via a relais, to be able to make 8 chuffs per revolution (4 from front track and 4 from rear track) for the acceleration phase. This relais I will activate via a function exit of the decoder.

Let's see how it works, I am confident.

Another problem is the programming of the ESU decoders.

Programming in the inbuilt condition via the ESU programmer was not working.

So I just put out the plug and play soccket and connect the decoder direct to the programmer. That was working well. After that just plug in and it runs,

Best regards to all !!

Udo

Udo

Hello All !

I forgot something:

If any body wants to have some detailpictures, just give me the E-mai adress, I will snet some details.

Udo