Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc system

Started by Daylight4449, March 02, 2009, 05:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

Anyone know where I can get my  first dcc system for under $100 any Ideas

Jim Banner

A quick check on eBay shows MRC Command 2000 sets have been selling for between $50 and $60.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

If you are going with the Tsunami decoders, you are going to need more than a MRC 2000. I see in another thread by you that you want to know how to install Tsunami decoders. I just gave away a MRC 2000 with the two channel remote. I could not configure any CVs with it though some sounds sounds would work. Ebay might be your best bet.

Make sure of what you can do with the system of choice before you purchase it.

Using Google for searches will produce a lot of results that you can study and at least ask more detailed questions.

No doubt, you will have to compromise.

Rich

Jim Banner

If you want to install, program and operate Tsunami decoders, then as Rich says, the MRC C2K just won't do.  I have serious doubts that anything available for less than $100 will.  Hopefully, someone will prove me wrong, but until then, you would be better off saving up than holding your breath.

I don't know if I am bragging, complaining or just stating the facts when I tell you that I paid for my first Digitrax Zephyr with money from returning pop cans for the deposit. 

Daylight4449

richG

I do not know anything about the Zephyr. Do a Google search for Zephyr. You can get some idea of what is available.

I know the Bachmann EZ Command DCC can be obtained for under $100.00. Yampa Bob uses it I believe.

I do not like recommending other brands on Bachmann forum.

If you really want to adjust CV's of the decoder, you will need a versatile system.

You might have to spend about $150.00 unless you come across a good deal. I spent about that for a minimal system that can adjust CV's and run maybe three or four engines at one time.

Do some searching on Google for DCC systems. You will find a variety of systems and do some research.

Buying or installing DCC usually is not Plug and Play. You have to do some research first.

Others will no doubt be able to comment.

Rich

boomertom

Bachmann's E-Z Command is a good intrductory system that can be found for less than 100.00

try http://www.peachcreekshops.com

John Glaab has been a defender of the E-Z Command on Yahoos DCC4EVERYONE group and has the basic unit at just over 70 and the Controller with GP40 just over 100.

This is a great way to get your feet wet and as it has 10 functions will support basic sounds.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Jim Banner

I like my E-Z Command because it is easy to learn and simple to operate.  It can operate sound equipped locomotives that have been preprogrammed for you, but you cannot use it to program sound and motion decoders beyond changing their addresses.

The Digitrax Zephyr can do more, which means you have to learn more to make it do all its tricks.  You can use the on-board throttle or add up to 10 external throttles, including radio throttles.  You can even use 1 or 2 regular power packs as throttles to control DCC  trains through the Zephyr.  It uses a separate track for programming so that you can program without disturbing the rest of the layout (even if it is running) and very importantly, can read back the settings of CVs as well as changing them.

With extra hardware, the Zephyr can tell you where on the layout all your trains are and it can interface with a computer to make decoder programming a snap and computer controlled or computer assisted operation possible.  While these are not priorities with a small layout, they often become priorities as the layout and number of locomotives grows.

Best of all, your Zephyr will not become obsolete.  If your layout outgrows your Zephyr starter system, you can sill use the Zephyr as part of a larger, more powerful Digitrax system.

No one can tell you that the Zephyr, or any other DCC system is the best system for you.  But when you start comparing advanced starter systems, it is a good one to investigate and to compare other starter systems to.  Ultimately, you will have to do your own evaluation of the different system to see what is right for you, your railroad, and the way you want to run it.  While you are at it, you could find out if any of the local clubs or hobby shops offer a programming service.  If they do, that too may affect your final choice of a system.

pdlethbridge

My NCE Power Cab has a lot of bells and whistles too. As yet, I haven't used its full potential, but I'm enjoying it immensely.

Jim Banner

I forgot to mention an important consideration when choosing a DCC system:  What systems do other model railroaders and clubs in your area use?  It really helps to have a DCC guru, just like having a computer guru, when you need some help.

Rangerover

I may get in trouble for this but....I bought the Bachmann EZ Command 4 years ago and then 3 years ago I bought the 5 amp booster. I haven't had any problem with the system at all, that's including Bachmann factory installed DCC loco's both steam and diesel. You can't beat the price! I also have many other DCC loco's, more expensive including some with sound, 26 in all. I love the simplicity of the Bachmann system and I have no regrets.

However after defending the Bachmann system that I use on another forum, I mentioned the fact about another poster saying I couldn't adjust cv's. with lights or sound or speed control and other goody's. I mentioned that I can turn the lights off and on, dim or bright and what else is there. I also mentioned the mars lights that work with the Bachmann system. Ok my post is getting long...after arguing about cv's, I have been reading a lot about other DCC systems and dwelling on the problems occurring adjusting cv's and computer interface systems.

I have added this to my system, just received it yesterday and was up till the wee hours of the morning "playing" with it. I can now simply plug this in a USB on my computer, no need to have the computer in the train room. I nailed a piece of flex track to a piece of 1X4 pine hook up the wires, plug it in go to a website and put the loco on the track, turn on the power and it reads on my computer screen all the cv's in both sound and non sound decoders installed in the loco. FANTASTIC !!!!!!! I didn't realize how many different sounds there are and levels of. I can finally turn off my mars lights or even leave them on in the yard with the engine idling, the mars light dims when idling and brightens up when in motion. Even the ditch lights work now. Got a lot to learn yet, but this makes it all so much more worthwhile and better for under $80.00.

I will keep my Bachmann system along with the digitrax interface, I'm very pleased and happy with it!

http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/the-352/PR3-USB-LocoNet-Interface/Detail

I also purchased this power pack which digitrax recommed's for $12.00
A 12-15V DC Power Supply (Digitrax recommends the PS12).

I wonder why Bachmann doesn't offer computer interface even with the Dynamis system ?

Yampa Bob

Rangerover,
That's a super idea. I have made hundreds of custom .wav files using Sound Recorder and a software program to edit and mix sound files, and compress the .wav format to a small file size readable by a CODEC.  I use a small  cassette recorder and microphone to capture all kinds of sounds, I also have a setup to transfer music from LP records to CDs.

Imagine running your sound locomotive, push a button and have it play "Wabash Cannonball" music, or hearing the conductor yell "All aboard!"  Endless possibilities.

I am very much sold on Soundtraxx decoders, I hope they will come up with something similar to Loconet Sound Installer.  A computer program to read and change CVs in my locomotives would be great to compliment my EZ Command controller.  The more I use EZ Command the more I like it. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

the sound of crickets ::)

Yampa Bob

Paul
I'll send you a few custom .wav files made just for you.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.