Any Luck With Scenemaster Magnetic Knuckle Couplers

Started by OkieRick, March 02, 2009, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

I have about 3 dozen various ans sundry types of rolling stock - boxcars, flatcars, tankers, cabooses - that have hook-horn couplers on them.  Some are old Tyco and Atherns models, others are ebay specials.  I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert any stock using these couplers?  What kind of luck did you have?  Does this coupler need a specific sized box?

thanks-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Tylerf

Yeah kadee has kits for that conversion and will work much better

grumpy

Be careful with your conversions using KD . On some occasions the the little hook from the bottom (air hose) will protrude low enough to catch on the frog when going through turnouts.mJust cut a little off.
Don

Len

The 'Scenemasters' work fine for doing quick talgo conversions on cars that use the horn-hooks with the small pivot hole (Tyco, etc.). You don't have to use KD 212 adapters to fill the large holes of other knuckle couplers. They are especially handing for making 'transition' cars, horn-hook on one end, knuckle on the other.

Eventually you should think about body mounting your couplers, but the Scenemasters are good if you want to do a lot of Tyco style cars in a hurry.

Athearn used horn-hooks with a large pivot hole, and a KD #5, #148, or EZ-Mate should drop right in.

You should also invest in a pair of KD Trip-Pin pliers and coupler height gauge. They make it easy to adjust the trip pin so it doesn't snag on switch frogs and crossings.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

OkieRick

Thanks for the information Len.

I knew I'd catch a lot of "buy Kadee" but I've been wanting to try these since last November.  The only thing stopping me was there were none in stock anywhere I could find.  They became avilable a week or so ago.  I'm going to invest in some of these - 20 (enough for 10 cars) are $6.00.  I have bout 20 matching gondolas and tankers I'll try them on.

Later-
Rick
-
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

jward

about the trip pins. don't cut them off, carefully bend the pins up a little so they ride above the rails. kadee makes a coupler height guage that will help you greatly in adjusting this and other minor problems with coupler height.

as for conversion of older truck mounted couplers, i don't think it really matters much which brand you use. the coupler mounts on the trucks are too low. they will work fine with each other but since the height is low they won't work well with cars with body mounted couplers. you'd have better luck cutting the couplers off the trucks, and mounting  the new couplers in their boxes on the floor of the car.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA