News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Doing a Train Show

Started by Jim Banner, March 02, 2009, 10:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

The greatest model railroading experience for a lot of us is going to a train show - as participants.  This past weekend, our little model railroading group set up our indoor large scale layout and ran trains, trains and more trains.  Ours was only one of a dozen or more layouts at a local show.  For us, it was a great opportunity to run our "summer trains" in winter, as none of us has a 20 x 50 indoor space to set up the layout except at shows.  But the best part of the show was not running the trains or rubbing elbows with other participants or the chance to buy/sell new and used equipment.  The best part was the thousands of smiling faces of the people enjoying the show.  We talked and talked and talked some more with model railroaders, potential model railroaders, real world railroaders, and people who just liked to watch trains.  It was great to be able to give back some of the pleasure that model railroading has given us over the years.  We are already looking forward to next year.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

grumpy

Jim
I believe that some of the boys from Edmonton took part of their layout to your show . I couldn't get a hold of any of them , they were all at your show. They say that they really enjoy your show. It is too bad that some of the mfg we support culdn't make an appearance at a Canadian show.
Don

Jim Banner

The LaBaJa layout from Edmonton was indeed at the show.  In fact, they won Most Popular Layout, as they well deserved.  Their 24 x 60 H0 layout is huge, and has an incredible level of detail for a layout of any size, let alone that big.  We were all extremely pleased that they came, show organizers, other participants, and of course, all the spectators.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

doug c

"....It is too bad that some of the mfg we support culdn't make an appearance at a Canadian show. . . ."

How often when you see their absence at a local MR show do you send a email out to all the manufacturers asking/suggesting to them if they could attend your local show ??

Early past december as part of my personal "my time,my dime" initiative to promote the local SUPERTRAIN    I sent out to 4 international LS manufacturers a packet containing a dvd and a cover letter !    Bachmann was one of the two responses i (personally) received; 

" . . . Dear Mr. Cannon:  Thank you for sending your letter and CD of the Supertrain Show. Although it looks wonderful, we’re not looking to expand our show schedule for 2009. If anything, considering this economy, we’ll likely be cutting attendance at a few shows next year. I wish you the best for the next Supertrain (including a little better weather!).  Again, thanks for thinking of us, and also for your support. Yours in railroading, Doug Blaine VP Marketing Bachmann Trains "

I responded;  "Doug B.;  Thanks for the response !   Glad to hear it made it through the sys !  At least you're aware of our show now anyways  Hopefully the economy stabilizes in the near future for all of us.  Seasons Greetings, doug c* "

SOoooo  if ya don't speak up,  they figure you are quite happy with the status quo !! 

IMHO,

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99