News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Securing E-Z track to plywood

Started by Neo Fender, March 03, 2009, 01:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Fender

What the best (removable) way to do this?  Adhesive is out – I'd like to be able to change my layout if desired.  Are small Phillips head screws adequate?  The existing holes are almost certainly too small.  I assume they're intended to be pilot holes?

Thanks.

Mike

I find that a low temperature hot melt craft glue works well... and is removable with a hairdryer. - Mike

grumpy

All my EZtrack is held down with nails iIf you don't use ones that too long they are easily removable.
Don

mf5117

no 18 tack nail , 2x15 cs screw . sell at most hobby shops ask for ho track screws or nails . home depot ,lowes have them .or hot glue .grumpy uses nails .i screw mine but my track is coming back up once i get a final on this project "layout" i still have to foam and raise road bed .for cookie cutting in my scenery. then i will decide on how i will finally fastn track down to plywood pearing in my layout .   good luck regards mark f

pdlethbridge

I use 1/2" flat head nails, they are easy to pull up and you can paint the heads to match the track.

Yampa Bob

Don,
Did you fasten the EZ Track directly to plywood, or to Homasote?  I'm curious about the noise level.

Awhile back someone mentioned their EZ Track being noisy. I suggested using Woodland Scenics foam roadbed for N scale, which would fill the cavity under the roadbed to dampen the sound.  I don't know if that would help or not, it was just a thought.

Hardware stores have small nails, actually called "wire brads".  I think #19 by 5/8"  long flat head would be about right for nailing EZ Track to plywood, or 3/4" long for Homasote. If to plywood, I would pre-drill the wood with a drill bit smaller than the nail and use a small tack hammer with a nail set or blunt drift punch so as not to damage the rails.

I have an adjustable punch/driver that works great for driving small nails.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Careful.

Don't drive the brads in too far, or you'll warp the ties and roadbed, and squeeze the gauge of the track. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Terry Toenges

Bob has a good idea with the N scale foam roadbed. Has anyone tried that?
I use rubberized shelf liner with holes in it that comes in different colors in rolls and found at Walmart. Then I fasten the track to it with a dab of white glue every few inches on the roadbed. The white glue dribbles down through the holes in the liner and hold everything secure.
It's not hard to pull it back up when you change your mind (like I do often).
Feel like a Mogul.

fogey10

Double-sided duct tape works well for me. It is easy to apply and easy to remove from plywood.  A putty knife will ease removal of track from the tape before removing the tape from the board.

I picked up this idea from an artlcle by John Glaab of Peach Creek Shops.

grumpy

Bob
I nail through the homasote and into the plywood . I make sure the nails are just long enough to penetrate the plywood and not very tight to avoid distortion of the track.
Don

Yampa Bob

Since my yards are still under development, I fastened the tracks down temporarily with short dressmaker pins, they push into the homasote easily, then just a slight tap to enter the plywood a bit.  So far they are holding well.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.