News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bowser

Started by Woody Elmore, March 04, 2009, 10:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

A posting on another website says that Bowser will no longer produce their HO steam engine line. I can't find anything about this on the Bowser website.

If they end their HO kit line it will mean the demise of another pioneer in HO. I hope it's not true; what would HO be without a Bowser steam engine?

Unfortunately, high quality steam engine models done by companies like Bachmann have put the kibosh on old metal kits.

pdlethbridge

Ram posted this in the changing time under HO. They will still make cars, trolleys and diesels but no steam or turntables.

jsmvmd

Does this mean the steam loco's listed on the site will be removed when inventory is gone?

Best Wishes,

Jack

Atlantic Central

Jack,

Yes, sales volume of the steam loco kits is almost at a stand still for Bowser.

And production costs continue to rise every time they need to run more castings, machinings, parts, etc. So when existing stocks are gone, they are gone, parts as well.

While this may seem like a loss, this kits, great in their day, are far out paced by better design and manufacturing commonly found in todays RTR models. It is not just that people want RTR in place of kits.

I would happily build a kit for needed/wanted locos if:

It had sprung drivers and all wheel pickup.

Inclosed gearing with good reduction.

Levels of detail typical of todays RTR models without having to modifiy the kit or buy a lot of extra parts.

Was priced at least in the same range with the RTR stuff.

Boswer now fails this test, and while it does not apply to me, there is  me also the number of users of DCC and sound who have other challenges ahead should they choose a Bowser kit.

Re-tooling seems pointless with a number of the Bowser prototypes already produced by others RTR.

And, I know there are a lot of PRR fans, but since I don't model the PRR, the fact that most of the line is PRR specific also kept me, and many others I'm sure, away.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I tend to agree with Sheldon, though Bowser does make the USRA light Mike, Pacific, and Mountain, all of which cry for specific road details. 
OTOH, I went to the Bowser site and it said nothing about discontinuing its steam.  It is bringing out new diesel stuff.
One thing about Bowser - it will pull a house down.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

If you were on the Bowser email list you would have received the notification. No doubt, just selling out remaining stock.

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/t/149099.aspx?PageIndex=1

Rich

john tricarico

lets see what happens to a few of there classic pieces

no one else has a PRR G5 on the market
and of course there classic PRR  E2 ATLANTIC

at one time i had a lot more patience to sit down
and build a kit    of course time takes its toll
on model builders   u know guys   eyes start to go
and the hands arent as study
but lets be honest about BOWSER
there items were a challenge to build and they were
classic   

good luck  john t  brooklyn ny

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

I guess I should build the Bowser light Mike kit I have had on the shelf, eh?  Especially since I have an old garage to pull down!

Thanks for the info!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Woody Elmore

I always found the challenge of getting a kit built engine to operate as advertised. Penn Line, as well as the Bowser line, always took a little fiddling and extra work. The satisfaction came in putting it on the head of a train. When I belonged to a club and everybody had Athearn F-7s, I liked the fact that my engines were unique since no one else wanted to tinker with kits. I've owned and built kits by Roundhouse, English, Penn Line, Bowser and Hobbytown. They all were an entertaining challenge.

Now all I have to do is take my plastic K-4 out of a box, put it on the track and watch it run. How boring.

pdlethbridge

I love the kit engines. I'm working on 2 right now. A bowser 'old lady' 2-8-0 and lite mike 2-8-2. I have built at least 4 mantua's, 3 roundhouse kits including a 2 truck shay that ran great and the bowser engines. I get a chance now and then to repair and modify other old engines like the mantua 0-8-0 I'm converting to DCC and a penn line K4. I have always liked a challenge and have even tried my hand at 3 different FSM kits.
    Today people don't have the desire to build, they'd rather run and get it done NOW

Woody Elmore

There is a posting on the Tyco Collector's board that has a letter from Eddystone Models. Apparently this company, that now makes drives, is buyint the Bowser steam engine line.

Good news for the old fossils like me that insist on building their own!

pdlethbridge

Well, considering how expensive eddystone engines are, don't be shocked if the kits will have a much higher price tag. Way beyond what us old fossils can afford.