News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2 Wiring Error???

Started by HO-Ron, March 04, 2009, 03:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HO-Ron

As a new member here, I thought that I would try and get an answer from all the knowleglable people I have seen in this forum.
I have searched and read everything I could find to determine if this issue I have is one that has been uncovered before. No luck :'(
The wiring I have from the tender of my 2-10-2 does not seem to match up with the wiring in the engine connector. Some history here. I sent the tender I got with the engine back to service support to have them install a sound decoder. Took over a month, but I got it back and am now trying to get it working. The original configuration was a Bachmann decoder.
More history. I have had to rewire two tenders in the past, for a friend, that had the same issue. The motor wiring had to be changed as well as the head-light (of course). Now having done this twice you would think that I could easily do this again for mine...... trouble is I have forgotten what I did two years ago. While I don't think that I am that supid, it would seem that the years have gotten to me.
Long way to ask if anyone has run into this before and just exactly what have they done??
Any help would be appreciated.

As a added comment, I have sent a e-mail to the Bachmann support people and left a phone message. Two weeks and no reply. Either I did not make my self clear or there is one big backlog.

Having fun with HO-Ron
Regards, Ron

Yampa Bob

Hi Ron

The following thread might help to refresh your memory. Though it may not depict your tender, it shows typical wiring, tender wheel orientation, and pinouts to the motor. Scroll down several posts to see list of typical pinouts.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

By tracing the wiring, you should be able to find the problem. The orange and gray wires from the decoder go to the motor. If the loco runs the wrong way, switch these two wires.

Decoder red and black wires go to rail pickups, red for right rail, black for left rail.  Tender wheel orientation and pickup must match locomotive wheel pickups. (refer to pictures and wiring diagram) In the diagram note the left drawing is typical wiring scheme, I have found several tenders with the variant wiring scheme and wheel orientation shown on the right.

Decoder white and blue wires go to front headlight, yellow and blue to rear light if present. (blue is common plus (+) to both lights)

Suggest copying the pictures to your computer and bookmarking the thread for reference. When you add it to your favorites, change the page name in the "Add Favorite" window, as all pages on the forum have the same title in the coding. (Bachmann Trains Online - Ask Bachman). If you don't change the name, each subsequent save to favorites will just overwrite the previous one.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

Who installed the sound unit?

From your post it sounds like you returned the tender to the Service dept of Bachmann?

Is the engine a Factory DCC and Sound engine or the DCC on board without sound?

Pacific Northern

HO-Ron

Thanks for the attention.
The tender was sent to Bachmann. The unit was a decoder install.. original Bachmann DCC decoder. Bachmann installed the sound decoder. I "think" that they just sent me a tender with the sound decoder in it.

Bob,
I did check out all the threads, including your pictures and explaniations. Very well done, but your wiring scheme is indentical for the tenders in that the motor outputs go to pin 1 & 2 and the light goes to 3 & 4. I don't know, but I think that the wiring is backwards on mine.  Pin 1 &2 are the lights and 3 & 4 are the motor. Don't know for sure and I hate to take the engine apart to verify it.
Just another hint that might help. When the loco is placed on the track and I apply power, the tender light blinks 5 times and stops, them blinks again, etc.
I don't know..... I thougth that I was good at this stuff having done it for 10 years, but this gets me.... :'(

Keep the replies coming. Maybe we can stumble on the answer...  ;D
Regards, Ron

Yampa Bob

The number of flashes indicates the fault code, you need to contact Soundtraxx directly and they will tell you what is wrong.  I have a list of the fault codes somewhere but unable to locate it. Here is the Soundtraxx contact page:

http://www.soundtraxx.com/index.php?p=contact.php&pt=co

If you remove the locomotive shell, you can trace the wires to the lights and motor without disassembling the locomotive.

Also, if you have a DC controller, unplug the loco from the tender. Place the loco upside down in a foam cradle.  Connect a set of wires to the DC controller, solder the other ends to small dressmaker's pins to serve as probes.  Touch the probes to the connectors in the 4 pin plug to determine which pair runs the motor.

Then you can trace and change the wiring in the tender as needed for proper operation.

With a multimeter set to DC, you can check the polarity of your test probes to determine proper locomotive direction when touching the probes to the plug connections.

NOTE: In lieu of a DC controller, you can also use a standard 9 volt battery to verify motor connections. The battery is usually marked for polarity which will help identify the test probes polarity. 

I forgot to mention, the decoder orange wire is the positive or plus (+) lead, the gray wire is the negative or minus (-) lead to the motor, for locomotive forward operation. The polarities are opposite for locomotive reverse operation

Is your track DCC powered, and if so, what controller are you using?  If service did in fact just replace the tender with one having a factory installed Tsunami, then the decoder has analog operation enabled.

Hope this helps

Jim Banner

Quote from: Yampa Bob on March 04, 2009, 09:13:32 PM
I forget to mention, the decoder orange wire is the positive or plus (+) lead, the gray wire is the negative or minus (-) lead.

These are the motor wires and the polarities apply when the locomotive moving forward.  They are reversed (grey=plus, orange=minus) when the locomotive is going backwards.

For the headlight, the blue wire is positive and the white wire is negative.

For the Bachmann OEM Tsunami, the error codes are on pages 55 & 56 of the manual.  The manual can be downloaded by clicking on this link:
http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/OEM%20Steam%20Users%20Guide.pdf

Error code 5 = EEROM Checksum failure

This means there is a problem in the decoder's internal memory.  This in turn means the decoder needs to go back to the factory for repairs.

Quote from: HO-Ron on March 04, 2009, 05:48:00 PM
I don't know..... I thought that I was good at this stuff having done it for 10 years, but this gets me....

Don't feel bad, HO-Ron.  I have been an Electronics Technologist since 1967 and did a project on multiple train control for my thesis.  I have been involved with DCC ever since the NMRA first proposed it.  And I STILL run into problems from time to time.  We all learn from one another.  For example, I learned from Yampa Bob that the OEM Tsunami had error codes, else I would not have been able to pass them on to you.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Jim
Thanks for jogging my memory, I knew I had the error codes on file somewhere. I re-read every manual except the one you linked to. Seems things we look for are always in the last place we look. Of course at my age I can't seem to find anything anywhere.  :D

Error codes 9,10,11,12 and 16, "Whose conditions can usually be solved by the user",  are listed on page 12 of the Quick Start Guide.

I edited my previous posts to clarify the items you mentioned. I know you will understand when I say the older I get, the more I learn, but the harder to explain to others in layman's terms.  8)

Thanks again.

HO-Ron

Thanks for all the input guys. I will check it all out and let you know the solution when I get to it.
Thanks again.. HO-Ron
Regards, Ron

HO-Ron

Just to put a period to this discussion and thank you all for your input. The decoder  is no good. The wiring appears to be fine. I will sending the decoder back to Bachmann for replacement.... well if I ever get a hold of anyone. No return calls or returned messages so far and that is a total of two mail messages and four calls to their voice mail.

Mr Bach Man, Is this anyway to run a railroad??? Just asking..  :-X

HO-Ron
64 years in modeling railroads and still chugging... beer that is  ;D ;D
Regards, Ron

OkieRick

HO-Ron,

I've called Bachmann 5 or 6 times all about returning a Russian that I know is under warranty.  I've had nothing but frustration trying to find out if I need and RMA number - that's all I want to know.  I've been told at one place to call another which turns out to be the number I called first.

I'm going to do as I've read - if t's not under warranty to enclose $$ with the locomotive.  My Russian is under warranty.  I can't get anyone to reply to an email either.

Mr. Bach Man, are you reading?

Thanks & later-
Rick Graham
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

SteamGene

As a general rule, when calling Bachmann, it is best to use your own dime (quarter? :D) and ask to speak to Bridgett directly. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

OkieRick

I call from the Central Time Zone.  I don't call around their noon or noon and 1/2 hour.  Time and time again I get Mrs. ________________, Main Desk Coordinator recording that goes straight into a voice mail recorder or answering machine.

I find it aggrivating but will make note of your suggestion - thanks.

Rick
-
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

If you send something to service, I suggest you use Postal Service with "return receipt requested".  Without a receipt, there is no proof they receive the item. It seems lately some items are "missing in action".

pdlethbridge

UPS provides the same thing and will pick it up at your house.                       

the Bach-man

Dear Rick,
The best course, as I've said repeatedly, is to call (215)533-1600 and ask for Bridget, who will take care of your problem.
Thanks!
the Bach-man