News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Programming CV's

Started by boomertom, March 05, 2009, 11:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

In another thread, Rangerover wrote"I have added this to my system, just received it yesterday and was up till the wee hours of the morning "playing" with it. I can now simply plug this in a USB on my computer, no need to have the computer in the train room. I nailed a piece of flex track to a piece of 1X4 pine hook up the wires, plug it in go to a website and put the loco on the track, turn on the power and it reads on my computer screen all the cv's in both sound and non sound decoders installed in the loco. FANTASTIC !!!!!!! I didn't realize how many different sounds there are and levels of. I can finally turn off my mars lights or even leave them on in the yard with the engine idling, the mars light dims when idling and brightens up when in motion. Even the ditch lights work now. Got a lot to learn yet, but this makes it all so much more worthwhile and better for under $80.00."

I am interested in this concept of using mu computer to read and program CVs, this would seem to solve the "problem" with E-Z Command that you are not able to adjust acceleration rates, speed tables, and many of the fine tuning that the more expensive systems allow.

Granted if you add the costs up and do not already have an E-Z Command the full function systems may result in a similar capital outlay but this does tend to negate the arguments that E-Z Command is not expandable.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Rangerover

Quote from: boomertom on March 05, 2009, 11:21:57 AM
In another thread, Rangerover wrote"I have added this to my system, just received it yesterday and was up till the wee hours of the morning "playing" with it. I can now simply plug this in a USB on my computer, no need to have the computer in the train room. I nailed a piece of flex track to a piece of 1X4 pine hook up the wires, plug it in go to a website and put the loco on the track, turn on the power and it reads on my computer screen all the cv's in both sound and non sound decoders installed in the loco. FANTASTIC !!!!!!! I didn't realize how many different sounds there are and levels of. I can finally turn off my mars lights or even leave them on in the yard with the engine idling, the mars light dims when idling and brightens up when in motion. Even the ditch lights work now. Got a lot to learn yet, but this makes it all so much more worthwhile and better for under $80.00."

I am interested in this concept of using mu computer to read and program CVs, this would seem to solve the "problem" with E-Z Command that you are not able to adjust acceleration rates, speed tables, and many of the fine tuning that the more expensive systems allow.

Granted if you add the costs up and do not already have an E-Z Command the full function systems may result in a similar capital outlay but this does tend to negate the arguments that E-Z Command is not expandable.

Tom

Hello Tom, Rangerover here, yes to your question if you purchase the Digitrax PR3 you can do this, you will also need to go to another site and download this:

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/apps/DecoderPro/index.shtml

There are two types of configuration files:

Decoder configuration files - These carry the description of a specific type of decoder, and control how the programmer displays the variable information.
Locomotive configuration files - These carry the specific information on a single locomotive.

I am very pleased with the results so far, but so much to learn yet. I will probably step up to a more comprehensive system, but due to the recession, I'm holding off for a while. I am retired and though my pension is secure, there's always that possibility that things as far as income, would go haywire and I don't want to buy something and then have to sell it due to the loss of income if it should happen. I can sell my Bachmann system on eBay, so I won't be losing anything, I've had it 4 years now and far as I'm concerned, the Bachmann EZ command paid for itself the first year I used it.

Rangerover

Tom I have just now finished "playing" with cv's in a DCC Bachmann GE 70 ton switcher and all is well, per your question about Bachmann using  Decoder Pro and the PR3. Here is a picture of part of the Decoder Pro program and you can see Bachmann on it.

I know what you mean about similar cost, but what I'm finding out is that you can configure cv's on the fly so to speak, as the train is operating on your layout. But most users are saying to program on an isolated section. which I do have on my layout I use to program loco's to my EZ Command and the portable one I made, so I feel as I don't want to buy another computer or move my computer to the train room, what I've done by purchasing the Digitrax to program was the best for now. If and when I do step up to a more complex system than Bachmann EZ it's still no loss for me. I am interested in the Bachmann Dyamis system, but they too have no interface/internet capability but I would like to see that system being used and I have a lot of questions this time before I purchase it. I like the idea of 4 digit programming so you can program your loco with the road number that's on the loco, just makes more sense than trying to figure out what engine is #7 on the Bachmann controller. I now have 27 DCC loco's after installing my first decoder in the 70 ton diesel. Keeping track of 27 loco's would be easier using the road numbers.
[img][/img]

pdlethbridge

The software sounds good. I can even use it as I'm running Ubuntu linux

Jim Banner

Even though I use a Zephyr for programming (including programming "on the fly" in OPs mode) I do like JMRI's Decoder Pro when I am near my computer.

With many decoders, it is possible to program the locomotive with a 4 digit address and still run it on a 2 digit system like the E-Z Command.  The trick is to program the 2 digit address into CV19 (the Advanced Consisting CV).  Use that address on the 2 digit system but reset CV19 to zero for 4 digits.  I also use this trick with Digitrax when I use one of the older, 2 digit throttles.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Rangerover

Quote from: Jim Banner on March 06, 2009, 02:31:00 PM
Even though I use a Zephyr for programming (including programming "on the fly" in OPs mode) I do like JMRI's Decoder Pro when I am near my computer.

With many decoders, it is possible to program the locomotive with a 4 digit address and still run it on a 2 digit system like the E-Z Command.  The trick is to program the 2 digit address into CV19 (the Advanced Consisting CV).  Use that address on the 2 digit system but reset CV19 to zero for 4 digits.  I also use this trick with Digitrax when I use one of the older, 2 digit throttles.

Jim thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!

Rangerover

Here is another link for the Decoder Pro, all of it's uses on video, great info here!

http://vps2642.inmotionhosting.com/~modelr5/index.php?q=mrht_decoderpro

boomertom

I am also retired and on a fixed income. Consequently disposable income has to be tightly guarded.
Expenditures for model railroad items has dropped several rungs on my discretionary spending ladder.

I am now revisiting some of the analog locomotives I own with an eye towards installing decoders and possibly sound decoders in several that I was considering replacing.

The hardware and software with the Digitrax unit would certainly help in setting these locos up for a lot less than new sound equipped locomotives and one of the heavyweight DCC systems we so frequently hear mentioned.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

pdlethbridge

Is your fixed income like mine, my wife fixed my income so I don't get any. ;D ;D ;D

Rangerover

Tom as far as expanding the Bachmann, the way it is yes it's limited but for the price and reliability, Ive had no problems with it. Like I said added the 5 amp booster I won on eBay for about half the listed price in an auction, brand new 3 years ago.  What I have invested in my basic Bachmann DCC system without the loco's is just around $200.00 not including the loco's of course. Plus the $80.00 for the programmer, $280.00. It's wishful thinking that I could upgrade soon to a better system.  Very well pleased with what I have. I watch my money very close right now. I spent my monthly allowance for trains on the programmer, I think that most retiree's are doing likewise, careful with their money! We should get a check in the mail starting May 1 for this income tax cut that Obama's talking about. $250.00 since we don't pay into income tax any longer, well working people get $13.00 per week, so that's more than $650 for the year for them.

I love this Programmer so simple once you get by the first couple and I now have a log for my decoder loco's, and so easy to adjust cv's, and loco's for consist. Just program the slowest one and the other gets programmed exactly the same as the first one, just great.
I'm getting long winded again, above all else have fun with your trains. Jim

Yampa Bob

Aside from the computer interface concept, how hard would it be for Bachmann to simply produce a small module or control panel, that when installed between EZ Command and the tracks, would have complete CV read and change capabilities, including a huge display and provisions for additional cabs?

Such an intermediate module would greatly enhance the versatility of the EZ Command controller, without any need for a computer or special programming setup. It would also keep our present controllers from becoming obsolete or requiring any upgrades.

I like my EZ Command controller just like it is, that's why I have three of them. I'm not taking any chances of it becoming discontinued, or upgraded /mutated into something I wouldn't like.  In other words, it's not broken, so please dont fix it.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Rangerover

Bob they don't have it on the Dyamis and I'm wondering how that system really works. I wonder why that don't have it either.

But with that digitrax programmer I bought along with JMRI's Decoder Pro there really is no need to look at all the cv's. The only cv's I've seen on the JMIR program is the speed steps. The sounds are all on a simple slide button and some sounds you can change, it's very simple to use. I tried loading all the cv's from one of my sound decoders just to see and I swear it took 15 minutes at least with over 300 possible cv adjustments. I won't be doing that again, it's so simple to use their program in the simplest form.

OkieRick

Has anyone tried or looked into the DYNAMSIS hand held wireless controller?  I'm a long way from programming CVs, but this Bachmann product appears to advertise that it is capable of just that:

Product Information

two-way wireless infrared operation
constant digital information updates of handset commands to locomotive, and of locomotive performance back to handset
joystick control for locomotive selection and speed
programming on the main
9,999 locomotive addresses
supports 14, 28 or 128 speed steps
full CV programming   <------------------------
turnout and accessory control
easy-to-use backlit LCD screen
control of up to 40 locomotives at any one time (up to 21 functions per locomotive)
allows 40 consists of up to five locomotives each
universally compatible track connection
expandable modular design
four AAA batteries included
suitable for all layouts, from train sets to sophisticated railroads
2.3 amp power supply
conforms to all applicable NMRA standards
Price: $315.00
Product Code: 36505

These are going for bout $130 on ebay at auction.  There doesn't seem to be any information on this except for it's expansion units.

How well does this controller work?

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Rangerover

I haven't seen the dyamis in action, I am aware you can change cv's, but I was referring to computer interface like most other systems. I'm rather new to this too and Bob was I believe referring to EZ Command. My problem is solved with what I purchased to "fix it" for $80.00.

Yampa Bob

Rover,
I saved all the links and will definitely do some research on the system. It's certainly worth $80 to me to have more capabilities and retain my faithful EZC.

Thanks for the info.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.