News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Programming CV's

Started by boomertom, March 05, 2009, 11:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Magee

Yampa

If you want to keep the trusty EZC unit but still want to program CV.s, have you heard of SPROG? Details are at:

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/

It sits between your PC and a spare length of track, and will program even the most notorious decoders. Don't use it myself as my NCE is happily connected to Decoder Pro via an old desktop, but I have seen it in use on a friends layout, and he swears by it - note, not AT it. :-)

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Rangerover

I'm finding out something with the less expensive Bachmann decoders and copied and pasted this from  a post I just made on another thread. Probably most know this already, but I am new to this and I can take constructive criticism. One important thing or maybe 2, you really can't program the cheaper Bachmann to run in consist, all other brands I have no problem with, and you cannot adjust cv's with the Bachmann as far as starting or peak speed, it seems whatever they are programmed to at the factory is what you get, not complaining though, they run great as is, just noting. If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to set me straight.

I received my Digitrax PR3 and I am using it with JMRI Decoder Pro and finding out that there are not many cv's changes you can make with the cheaper Bachmann decoders. More for the Spectrum though, am I doing something wrong or is that the way it is.

The more expensive loco's like Atlas, Athern, Broadway Limited, Proto and Stewart and especially those with sound seem to have many more cv's.

I did install a digitrax decoder in a 70 ton Bachmann Switcher and that seem to have most of the cv's the more expensive loco's have excluding of course those with sound.

Funny I just got into this more out of curiosity about cv adjustments, but I love it. I feel a little disappointed with not being able to do anything more with Bachmann, but after considering the cost of a DCC Bachmann engine for under $50.00, it's still a bargain. Bachmann, because of the price of an operating DCC simple system, started me in DCC.

I would think I could replace some  decoders in a few of my Bachmann Loco's with better decoders, some are great runners and I may try  sound decoder in a few of them.