News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dimensions and a few questions

Started by TrainHigh, March 03, 2009, 01:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainHigh

Hi,

Would someone that has them mind measuring the Height and Length of these locomotives for me?  From the part of the wheel that rides on the track to the top of the cab.

4-6-0 Annie

Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul

Spectrum 4-4-0

I'm trying to figure out which one to get and I want the tallest, biggest one possible.  Just wondering how much bigger the Spectrum is and if it is worth the extra money for the extra size.  (I know it's higher quality though)

Also, I have a question about the Jackson passenger cars.  Someone is advertising Spectrum Jackson passenger cars but I just got the 2009 Bachmann catalog and I don't see them in there.  Are there really Spectrum passenger cars that are bigger than the regular passenger cars? 

Thank you.

Jon D. Miller

TrainHigh,

Here is a partial answer to your question. 

4-6-0 Annie:  29 1/4 inches long. Measured from tip of cow catcher to edge of tender foot board.  ( This lenght may be just slightly shorter than the Annie as delivered.  On the engine measured the coupling between the loco and tender was shortened to move tender closer to locomotive. Not recommended if locomotive is to be operated on curves of less than four foot radius.)

Height: 6 7/8 inches. Measured from railhead to top of cab. (Depending on model selected the cab may not be the tallest part of locomotive.  On some models the stack may be the highest part of the locomotive.

The other two locomotives are stored in the building and are not available at this time for measurements.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Old John

TrainHigh,

My Spectrum 4-4-0 length is 26 3/8" from the tip of the cow catcher to the tender foot boards.  The height from rail head to the top of the Cab is 5 1/2", the Whistle is the highest point on the locomotive at  7 1/4" ( the whistle is approximately 1/4" higher than the stack).

My Spectrum 2-6-0 length is 26 3/8" from the tip of the cow catcher to the tender foot boards.  The height from rail head to the top of the Cab is 5 1/2", the Whistle is the highest point on the locomotive at  7 1/4" ( the whistle is approximately 1/4" higher than the stack).

These are both the Russian Iron Denver & Rio Grande models.

My 4-6-0 Annie measures the same as Jon's, however I have the "Bumble Bee" version and the highest point is the whistle, which is 7 7/8" from rail head to the top.

Jon D. Miller

Note to Bach Man

Since the question of a locomotive's dimensions seems to come up so often and has been answered time and again how about putting the dimensions in the FAQ section.

Then each time the question of a particular locomotive's dimensions is ask, reference could be made to the FAQ section for the answer.

This would sure save a lot of time.

JD

Old John

Jon,

An excellent suggestion, perhaps also include the minimum radius for each locomotive as well....

calenelson

Another thing to remember (or learn): the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are "essentially" the same loco, with one having just an additional set of driving wheels...the pilots and/or the stacks may be different according to the road name choice.  I've "heard" the American is a better "puller" though I can't speak that as truth.  I own an American, still in box awaiting RC/Batt Conversion.  I've enjoyed my "Annie" but it's a little on the small size when it comes to my other Fn3 stock, though the Banta Cab kit did make a nice difference.  I prolly should mentions as well, that all 3 loco's can be found a decent pricing if one spends a few min searching the big net retailers!

cale

You can compare here:

and:

Jon/John...I too agree that having the specs avail would be prudent.

Jon D. Miller

We should have mentioned that the Anniversary 4-6-0 is 1:22.5 scale.
The Spectrum American and Mogul are 1:20.3 scale.

The American and Mogul were small engines so that the models in 1:20.3 are smaller than the Connie and K-27 by a significant amount.  Both the American and Mogul do not look out of place pulling a consist of 1:22.5 freight or passenger cars.

Since I have examples of each of these locomotives and run them on a regular basis it is true that the American will pull more than the Mogul.  However, either of these two locomotives will pull more than their 1:1 prototypes would have pulled in service.

JD

TrainHigh

Thank you for the measurements.  I agree that having dimensions on the products would be very beneficial.  That is all I wanted to know but no manufacturers give that, only scale.   People new to trains (at least me anyway) don't know what real Loco is what, standard gauge, narrow gauge, etc.

On the other hand, I spent a week researching stuff to just to try to figure out how big they were and learned way more about trains than I ever thought I would.