News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Customer Service

Started by USNavyChiefRet, March 05, 2009, 08:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNavyChiefRet

I have ordered and received 3 ON30 locomotives since Feb 5, 2009 and all 3 have been defective. Now I know this because I have a locomotive here that runs great on my track, runs around to beat the band. It's not sound but it runs. I have verified my DCC track voltage at 13 volts. I won't mention the retail store I purchase these loco's from because I don't consider it their fault. These were brand new, sealed in the factory sealing, locomotives from Bachmann. The first one came ran fine once around my track and then started acting up, go stop go stop. So I'm thinking it's my problem, track needs work. I ran two bus wires down the middle of my layout, one red, one black. Then to these two bus wires I ran drop wires from wired rail joiners, the leads from the joiners are 6-8 inches long at the most, I soldered these small wires to 16 AWG wire and connected them to the main bus wires, soldering them. I don't like butt connectors or suitcase connectors. I then ran an ohms test on my track, both rails, all the way around. It's basically a simple oval with two turnouts, only one of which is powered by AC from an analog power pack, in fact right now I'm just switching it manually the same as the other switch, which is only manual. Now the Colorado Mining Rail Truck, which is DCC, (no sound) runs around fine. I have had a 2-4-4 Forney that was bad, sent back to the retailer. I then had a Climax, that ran around the track once and as far as I can tell the main gears in the gearbox where the motor runs to broke. I know this because I isolated both front and rear trucks, took them apart and verified the gears on them. So it broke. Mind you this is right out of the box. Then today I received another 2-4-4 Forney w/Tsunami sound installed in it from the factor. Took it out of the box, put it on my track, made a high pitched sound like it was firing up then pop! and nothing! This is 3 loco's in the past month, brand new from Bachmann that have failed. I called customer service this afternoon (3/5/09) and was basically given the run-around. I was told to call Soundtraxx, "they make the decoders, you'll have to call them", when I mentioned that this was the 3rd loco in a month that failed the customer service rep said she couldn't help me "would I like to talk with a Manager"? I said "Yes, I would", at which point I was transferred to someones voice mail, I say "someones" because I couldn't hear who's voice mail it was. Then click. I called back and got "Bridgets" voice mail and left her a message concerning my problems. I venture to say I won't get a reply. Is this the type of customer service that I can expect from Bachmann? I am frustrated, tired, and about ready to toss all of this. I have never been treated so rudely. I thought this was going to be fun, it has been nothing but headaches.

USNavyChiefRet

Quote from: USNavyChiefRet on March 05, 2009, 08:41:07 PM
I have ordered and received 3 ON30 locomotives since Feb 5, 2009 and all 3 have been defective. Now I know this because I have a locomotive here that runs great on my track, runs around to beat the band. It's not sound but it runs. I have verified my DCC track voltage at 13 volts. I won't mention the retail store I purchase these loco's from because I don't consider it their fault. These were brand new, sealed in the factory sealing, locomotives from Bachmann. The first one came ran fine once around my track and then started acting up, go stop go stop. So I'm thinking it's my problem, track needs work. I ran two bus wires down the middle of my layout, one red, one black. Then to these two bus wires I ran drop wires from wired rail joiners, the leads from the joiners are 6-8 inches long at the most, I soldered these small wires to 16 AWG wire and connected them to the main bus wires, soldering them. I don't like butt connectors or suitcase connectors. I then ran an ohms test on my track, both rails, all the way around. It's basically a simple oval with two turnouts, only one of which is powered by AC from an analog power pack, in fact right now I'm just switching it manually the same as the other switch, which is only manual. Now the Colorado Mining Rail Truck, which is DCC, (no sound) runs around fine. I have had a 2-4-4 Forney that was bad, sent back to the retailer. I then had a Climax, that ran around the track once and as far as I can tell the main gears in the gearbox where the motor runs to broke. I know this because I isolated both front and rear trucks, took them apart and verified the gears on them. So it broke. Mind you this is right out of the box. Then today I received another 2-4-4 Forney w/Tsunami sound installed in it from the factor. Took it out of the box, put it on my track, made a high pitched sound like it was firing up then pop! and nothing! This is 3 loco's in the past month, brand new from Bachmann that have failed. I called customer service this afternoon (3/5/09) and was basically given the run-around. I was told to call Soundtraxx, "they make the decoders, you'll have to call them", when I mentioned that this was the 3rd loco in a month that failed the customer service rep said she couldn't help me "would I like to talk with a Manager"? I said "Yes, I would", at which point I was transferred to someones voice mail, I say "someones" because I couldn't hear who's voice mail it was. Then click. I called back and got "Bridgets" voice mail and left her a message concerning my problems. I venture to say I won't get a reply. Is this the type of customer service that I can expect from Bachmann? I am frustrated, tired, and about ready to toss all of this. I have never been treated so rudely. I thought this was going to be fun, it has been nothing but headaches.
Oh I forgot to mention that, today, after the 2-4-4 Forney (On30) squealed and then went silent I went through all the CV's that deal with sound on it, and in fact I did speak with a Tech at Soundtraxx, he had me look at the decoder by removing the coal load to see of one or both of the wires to the speaker had come loose, they hadn't and the decoder showed no signs of a burnt chip, etc. he said "Well it sounds like somethings blown on the decoder". I might also mention that the loco ran fine around my track, just no sound, except at first then nothing. The Tech at Soundtraxx said I would have to call Bachmann and go through the warranty procedure. That's real promising.

USNavyChiefRet

Quote from: USNavyChiefRet on March 05, 2009, 08:57:02 PM
Quote from: USNavyChiefRet on March 05, 2009, 08:41:07 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that, today, after the 2-4-4 Forney (On30) squealed and then went silent I went through all the CV's that deal with sound on it, and in fact I did speak with a Tech at Soundtraxx, he had me look at the decoder by removing the coal load to see of one or both of the wires to the speaker had come loose, they hadn't and the decoder showed no signs of a burnt chip, etc. he said "Well it sounds like somethings blown on the decoder". I might also mention that the loco ran fine around my track, just no sound, except at first then nothing. The Tech at Soundtraxx said I would have to call Bachmann and go through the warranty procedure. That's real promising.
I also forgot to add that the retailer I purchased these 3 Bachmann loco's from has been FANTASTIC! in working with me! Which is more than I can say for Bachmann customer service.

Jim Banner

Chief, I hate to ask you this, but have you been cleaning your tracks and wheels?  The problems with your first locomotive and with your third locomotive could be caused by dust/dirt on the rails.  As it builds up on the locomotive (and sometimes tender) wheels, it interferes with their picking up electricity from the rails.  A sure tip off is when the headlight starts flickering.  It reacts much quicker to loss of power than the motor does because the latter is fitted with a flywheel to help the locomotive coast over minor amounts of dirt.  Intermittent contact with the rails can also upset decoders, particularly if the noise is interpreted as a command.  It is just possible that noise from dirt has sent a "mute" command to your locomotive's decoder.

This leads to the following suggestion:  clean the tops of your rails with a rag dampened with either isopropyl alcohol or Varsol.  Then clean the treads of your locomotive/tender wheels with Q-tips dipped in the alcohol or Varsol.  Then try unmutting the sound.  I believe the mute is function 8.  See if that helps.

The Climaxes do break gears rather easily.  The problem seems to be that manufacturers have a choice between a scale gear box, which is rather fragile, or a large, sturdy gear box which does not look very realistic.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

USNavyChiefRet

Thanks for the recommendations Jim.
I have cleaned my track with denatured alcohol. I didn't notice any flickering of lights at all. As I said I have a Bachmann Colorado Mining Truck that runs around the layout just fine. No flicker of lights. I have good solid connections at the rail joiners, I ran and ohms test around the track and show good continuity for both rails all the way around. Believe me, I did this at least 3 times if not more, trying to isolate the problem. I do appreciate the help. I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone. I just thought one would expect some sort of customer service out of Bachmann other than "call Soundtraxx". Soundtraxx was at least a helpful in that the Tech went through the troubleshooting steps with me while I was on the layout and said "well it sounds like the amplifier on the decoder is blown". So back she goes. Thanks Jim.

bevernie

GREETINGS!! ;DOKAY!! :oIs it UNANIMOUS? We'll go on strike, and NOT BUY ANYTHING BACHMANN until they get their ACT TOGETHER!! :-[
    I've also got three steam engines supposedly in Philly, but I've not heard anything, so WHO KNOWS??
    Perhaps Mr. B or Mr. A (Administrator) would like to get involved? SURELY, SOMEONE NEEDS TO!! >:(
                                                                                           THANX!!
                                                      8)                                    Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Yampa Bob

No, I'm not "going on strike".  I love Bachmann locomotives.  While Bachmann may have problems with service, I can imagine the huge work load involved.

I have this picture in my mind of a technician up to his eyeballs in locomotives, and uttering unintelligible comments under his breath.

Now the phones are another issue. A few more people to just answer the phones to let us know there are life signs would help in communication. Tuesday it took me over 3 hours to reach a live person just so I could order a catalog. My time is just as important as theirs, perhaps more so since I'm the customer.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

USNavyChiefRet

Here, here, Yampa Bob!
Why is it other companies can provide excellent customer service, yet they have to deal with the same issues any other company has to deal with, economy, fuel prices, etc. I just think Bachmann thinks they have a corner on a market and don't have to provide the level of customer service that one should expect when one pays the amount you do for one of their locomotive, cars, etc. I have a hobby shop in town here that when I went in to ask them a question about DCC, and mentioned Bachmann I got "Bachmann?!! They can barely build trains!" from the two "train experts" at the hobby shop. I'm not trying to bad mouth Bachmann, I just expect some level of customer service. I'll give you an example: I purchased a table saw from a well know retailer. When I was assembling the saw, stand, etc I noticed the left extension table was damaged. This was after I had assembled most of the saw. It was late so the next morning I called the retailer and was told to bring the extension with me along with my receipt and the Mgr would pull one from another saw they had in stock and give that one to me. When I arrived at the store he have me a new extension and then said "here take these two (two wrenches) you might need these, oh and take this too, (a push tool)". Now that's what I call customer service. I will purchase from this company again. I will go online and give them good marks in their survey for customer service. I notice Bachmann doesn't have such a thing (customer service feedback/survey) I wonder why?

boomertom

Check out my post Happy Camper for whjat promises to be a sucessful resolution to a CS problem.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Yampa Bob

Yes, but consider what you had to endure in the meantime. Maybe they can't get every job out in a day, but in the morning, every single box should be opened and organized as to priority and readily accountable, not simple buried in a pile. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

boomertom

I quite agree with that statement. It totally blows my mind that items are not logged in on a computer terminal, entered in to a data base and assigned a tracking number.

Some prioritizing should occur by at least the day after receipt of returns. There also arises the question of why are returns so much higher immediately after Christmas, are there quality controlled issues that beg addressing?

Perhaps some soul searching is in order at Bachmann.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Pacific Northern

I can only imagine how many items must have been returned to Bachmann after the Christmas period for either replacement or warranty repairs.

I have dealt with Bachmann service department a couple of times and can only complement them on their service. I was e-mailed and told the item(s)  would be replaced 
as they could not be replaced.

One item I had returned was no longer produced so I was given a choice of replacement engines.

I believe that the three items I had returned were returned to me within a month or so. The time frame I believe was late spring so I had missed the Christmas onslought. 

It must be most irritating for those whose items seem to take forever to return.
Pacific Northern