News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z track and On30

Started by boomertom, March 05, 2009, 11:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

I am pondering aventure into On30, primarily for a Christmas tree layout but have also pondered a switch from HO.

I have a couple of questions generated by some comments in the hobby publications regarding the close spacing of ties on HO track. I am wondering just how noticable this is and is there a simple way to compensate with E-Z track?

Also while not track related, will the E-Z Command preform satisfactorly with On30 locos or is the booster needed?

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Pete Chimney

The close spacing of HO sectional track is not prototypical for O-scale, either as standard guage, 3 foot or 2 1/2 foot (0n30). With loose sectional track some have simply snipped off or removed every other cross tie. I do not believe this is possible with E-Z Track as the ties are embedded in the plastic roadbed.

But if the look, i.e. close spaced ties, does not bother you, then why not use E-Z Track?

Sorry, I am not familiar with the workibs of the E-Z Command System

az2rail

Considering that Bachmann's ON30 train were made to run on E-Z track, they will work fine together.

As said above, in real life narrow gauge ties were space farther apart then standard gauge track. E-Z track has the tie spacing molded into the plastic road bed. So if you were to remove everyother tie, the spacing in the road bed would show. I also think that the ties would now be to far apart.

If you are purist, then I would not use the E-Z track, but I am not a purist, and see nothing wrong with it.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

BIG BEAR

Hi Bruce,
   The problem isn't just spacing of the ties, the ties themselves are also too small for the proper scale.
   I personally don't worry about it on my On30 layout. I do believe that 75% or better of the On30 layouts run on regular HO track. I have seen a couple On30 layouts at train shows, with public viewing, and all have used regular HO track.
   Sorry I also am not familiar with EZ Command in On30 yet, maybe someday.
           Enjoy,
              Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

jestor

The EZ-Command will run a couple of Bachmann's ON-30 locos with no problem. The limitation of the EZ-Command is it's inability to do any programming of CV's. It is a basic, entry level system.  EZ track is what comes with the Bachmann ON-30 train sets. The track is easily removed from the roadbed if you want to use it that way.  Some don't like the look of regular HO track, and some don't mind. That choice is yours.

Joe Satnik

Jestor,

You said

"The track is easily removed from the roadbed if you want to use it that way."

I thought EZ-Track had its track and roadbed sonically welded together.

How many pieces of EZ-Track have you actually taken apart?

You may be thinking of Atlas's True-Track.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

az2rail

Berry. I agree with you on the tie size, and using HO track. That was one of the big reasons for going ON30, versus ON3. I already have a lot on HO track. I do plan on using some narrow gauge track and switches in the mountain areas, when I get that far.

Joe is also right about removing the E-Z track from the roadbed. I could have sworn that I had some track that was screwed on, that's why the screw holes were in the plastic roadbed. But a quick look shows only glued/welded on track. You could probably remove it if you want, but I'm ok with mine the way it is, so I'm not going to try.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

the Bach-man

Dear Tom,
I used EZ Track on the Riley's Run display, and most people don't even notice. I think it looks fine.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

C.S.R.R. Manager

My understanding of narrow gauge track standards is that there weren't any.  Different railroads used different sized ties and spacings, and there are some that we have no idea about.  So as long as you aren't modeling a specific line, almost any type of track could be considered realistic.

The other thing to remember is that most narrow gauge lines had very little maintenance, and as  a result, the ties were often buried in ballast, dirt, weeds, and/or sand, and weren't visible at all.  I recently ran across an On30 layout by a couple of British gents, which is set in Mexico.  Called "The Layout with No Name," it has track that is so deep in the rocks and dirt, that you can't see ties at all. 
I also built a small On30 test layout last year, and I used some Atlas code 83 flextrack that I had on hand.  You really can't tell that it's HO track at all. 

Manager

renniks

Joe,

The tie strip and ballast base of EZ track are only "spotted" together and are easily seperated.  Have done so to every section of track provided with an On30 Train Set.
    Hold a section by the ends and twist in opposite directions a few times. You will hear the "joins" breaking loose but may need to insert a small blade screwdriver between track and base towards centre of piece to complete seperation. After the first 2 or 3, you get the "knack".

Eric UK

Joe Satnik

Dear Erik,

Thanks for pointing that out.  Getting the track and roadbed separate is critical for rail connector (electrical continuity) maintenance.

One of the problems with EZ-Track is (non-destructively) removing an old loose rail connector, as they are held on by the molded plastic "tie plates" that fit into slots on the side of the rail connector.

Once the track is off the roadbed, one may squeeze the rail down in between the end ties, which clears the connector from the "tie plates", and allows the rail connector to slide off the end of the rail.  You can't do this with the track still on the roadbed.   

I've never seen a stock Bachmann replacement rail connector, though.  (Do they exist?)

To make an Atlas #170 rail connector fit, one would have to trim away the plastic tie plates anyway.

I suppose that you could gently squeeze the old Bachmann rail connector with a pliers and re-use it. 

Again, thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.