News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Decoders

Started by boomertom, March 06, 2009, 05:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

I was an accounting major, so I need the help of you electronics whizes out there.

Is the Bachmann decoded as it comes set up to recognize the power source - DC or DCC - a so called dual mode decoder.

tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Tim

Tom

Yes the Bachmann decoders are dual mode and are set that way when new.

The dual mode function can be turned off for running on DCC only.  I recomend
turning  dual mode off if you are running DCC only.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Yampa Bob

Tom
Bachmann decoders are also designed to be compatible with the noise suppression circuitry of their DCC ready and DCC equipped locomotives.  Using other brands usually requires clipping capacitors on the circuit board, and in case of older release tenders sometimes requires rewiring or modifying the circuit board.

Some recent release diesel locomotives have noise suppression circuitry that cannot be easily disabled or modified, so best not to switch brands of decoders.

For the above reasons, I only use genuine Bachmann decoders in all my Bachmann locomotives.

Since I have EZ Command I can't disable analog operation on my decoders, but to date I have never had a runaway or any other problem, with either Bachmann or Digitrax dual mode decoders. (knock on wood).  Another small layout in my office is DC powered, which is handy for troubleshooting and testing.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.