purchased a bachmann train set

Started by mothering4, March 06, 2009, 10:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothering4

I recently purchased this train set and i'd like to know how old it is and what its worth. the commemorative valvoline express

the Bach-man

Dear Motherling,
What did you pay for it?
That's what it's worth!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Conrail Quality

The Bach-man beat me to it, but Bachmann train sets are worth very little to collectors. You might get around $20 at most. Still, you might be lucky and get more for it, but don't count on it.

If you want to know the age, you will need to describe the set in more detail. What scale is it, for example.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

mothering4

G-scale  the name is 125th edition commemorative made exclusively for valvoline

boomertom

Quote from: Conrail Quality on March 06, 2009, 10:54:26 PM
The Bach-man beat me to it, but Bachmann train sets are worth very little to collectors. You might get around $20 at most. Still, you might be lucky and get more for it, but don't count on it.

Am I correct in inferring that "commerative sets" from Hawthorn Village for example have no residual value as an investment (but then what does in this economy)?

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Joe Satnik

Dear mothering4,

You might be surprised:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4744.0.html

Thanks and Congrats to Loco Bill Canelos, recently promoted from "Unofficial" to "Semi-Official" Bachmann Large Scale Historian.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

P.S.  You can post G scale questions in the "Large Scale" sub-forum.  Thanks.

Edit:  added P.S.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

SteamGene

Tom,
Despite what Hawthorne Village implies, I'd bet there is little aftermarket value in their commemorative sets.  If you take a look at their website, it seems that sets don't get retired.  The only way the loco and few cars of our Robert Kinkaid Christmas Special would gain value would be for it to be discontinued and somebody to want it.  In addition, many of their sets have a large number of pieces.  The set mentioned has, I think, 14 cars - far more than a 2-6-0 can pull, probably in real life! 
We have some Hawthorne stuff because we like it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

doug c

Years ago I realized that anything made off-shore (pacific rim) is not "collectible" and as a reputable local antique/collectibles dealer has stated publicly numerous times (on radio prog.),  when a so-called "collectible" is produced in the hundreds--- thousands it's worth is defined by it rarity !!   

So when produced in the hundreds-- thousands it is worth what you paid for it but later (bottom line) what someone  may wish to pay for it !!!

Motherling4   when you move your post over to the large scale forum area;   enhance with condition and what pieces/ part number/ year of production ... even any date on the  box will give a ball park timeline of the set/ and possibly a link to photos of the set.      Till then,  like the Bachmann   stated it is worth what you paid for it and how much your kids will enjoy playing with it !

doug c

"G-Gauge may not RULE,  But  it GROWS on YA !! "        djc'99
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Santa Fe buff

That's some piece. Please be careful, if you go to some swat-meets, they'll make you think what you have is more than what it's really worth. Well, all I can really say is good luck with the very neat train set.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

mothering4

Thanks Everyone for your 2 cents you've been alot of help.