News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Double Whammy

Started by jowalmer, March 07, 2009, 11:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jowalmer

...as in two questions:

1)  my spectrum 8-40 started sqeeking tonite.  what maintenance is typical?

2)  how is one to know when you have too many cars behind the loco?

ok, here is a third: did anyone make the perris swap meet today?

thanks.  jim

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
You should give your loco a light lube after every twenty or so hours of use. If you try to pul too many cars your loco's wheels will simply slip.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jowalmer

Thanks Mr. Bach-man.  Question though, where does the light lube go and what is the lube.  I can't imagine I've had 20 hours yet, but even still, the squeeky wheel gets the grease, so to speak.  Thanks.

pdlethbridge

MAKE SURE YOU USE PLASTIC COMPATIBLE LUBE. Things like wd 40, vasoline or 3 in 1 oil would ruin you engine

Yampa Bob

I use Labelle 108 light oil, seems to work well. Use it very sparingly, a little bit goes a long way.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jowalmer

Is labelle 108 a specialty type that only a hobby store will carry or will a local Ace have it?  Also since it is so new, I've only had it for about a month and a half and only run the thing when I have my son, is it possible that the squeek is coming from the wheels themselves.  I can't imagine that the gearing is dry and even if it is, I can't imagine that they would squeek.  Thanks.

RAM

Yes you would need to get labelle 108 from a hobby shop.  I wonder if you may have something rubbing on the wheels.

Santa Fe buff

I personally us Woodland Scenics Hob-E-Lube... I think they still make it, but I'm not sure if it's the best. All I know is that the bottle says, "(C) 1985", and that the lubricant seems to be find on gears. Well, it should be, it's the Gear Lube version! ;D

You can find an entire pack of lubricants in the Hob-E-Lube series on Walthers. It seems, though, that it is not in stock...

Good luck,
E-Z Lube provided by Bachmann is a sure answer instead of hunting of Hob-E-Lube.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

jward

i have a couple of spectrums that do the same thing. the squeak isn't in the gearing, it seems to be coming from the motor bearings themselves. i would put just a drop of the labelle oil on each motor bearing. there are two, located where the shft leaves the motor frame, on e on each end.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Jim- For what it's worth, many ot the older "Plus" series diesels had motors that squealed, many times right out of the box. Consequently many dealers closed them out at around $10 each. That's why I own 40-some of them. I found that simply oiling theotor bearings provided a temporary fix. Better yet, DuPont makes a teflon fluid-based lubricant (available in a blue bottle from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) which, WHEN APPLIED IN VERY SMALL AMOUNTS, leaves a teflon residual which has stopped the noise and provided for smooth running in my locos. BE CAREFUL, I'M NOT SURE THE LIQUID IS PLASTIC COMPATIBLE. BUT SINCE I ONLY PUT IT ON THE METAL SHAFT WHERE IT ENTERED THE METAL MOTOR BEARING...AND LET THE LIQUID EVAPORATE, I have found it to be a very acceptable solution to the problem. As another on thus forum has said many times..."Your mileage may vary".- Mike

buzzard975

I'm new to the hobby too, but I was given a steam engine that was making a squeak I couldn't locate.  When I held a 9-volt to the wheels it wouldn't do it, which clued me in.  It was the cow catcher rubbing on the rails.  I was able to slide the bottom half of the body back and it stopped doing it.  Mabye that was a fluke but make sure you have a little clearance.

jowalmer

All great responses.  Thanks so much.