Latest run of Athearn Blue-Box kits' quality VASTLY improved.

Started by Paul M., March 07, 2009, 10:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

Hey guys,
I swung by my LHS today, and picked up a recently manufactured Athearn Blue-box gondola. I was surprised when I opened the package- it had metal wheels included, like the RTR series, instead of the standard plastic ones. It also had smaller scaled sprung McHenry couplers, instead of the larger EZ Mate Mark I couplers with the plastic coil.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Tylerf

Wow that's much better than the previous plastic wheels and horn hook couplers. I'm suprised, though I haven't seen any of these kits. Now all they have to do is upgrade the kits with all the great details and etched metal parts like the RTR models

hobo1

wholesale trains had athearn rtr cars at 3.00 a piece and still do. I bought a ton of them

Yampa Bob

I found a bunch of five year old blue box kits at a small store, they have metal wheels but with EZ Mate couplers.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

john tricarico

good to hear this paul

i havent seen any of the new bluebox kits yet
which car did you get and are there any other
inprovements on them

good luck  john t  brooklyn ny

Atlantic Central

What! A NEW Athearn blue box kit!

I hope all those people who where "sure" there would never be another Athearn Blue box kit see this thread.

Athearn - still one of the best values in the hobby!

Sheldon

ebtbob

Paul,

A word of warning,  based on personal experience.   The semi scale McHenry coupler has been a source of great aggravation to me.   I have had waaaaaay to many instances of cars uncoupling for seemingly(is that a word) no reason at all.   If you like plastic knuckle couplers with knuckle springs,  stick with the Bachmann EZ Mate II or the full sized McHenry couplers.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

lmackattack

most of the BB kits in the last 4-5 years have had metal wheels and plasticMc Henry couplers. every now and then you will get the plastic wheels but its rare and I think just old stock sitting on the shelf. I mjust glat the hook horn couplers are almost dead!

and I agree that Athern BB kits are one of the best value freight cars out there. I just hope they stay USA made!

lmackattack

Quote from: ebtbob on March 08, 2009, 08:43:29 PM
Paul,

A word of warning,  based on personal experience.   The semi scale McHenry coupler has been a source of great aggravation to me.   I have had waaaaaay to many instances of cars uncoupling for seemingly(is that a word) no reason at all.   If you like plastic knuckle couplers with knuckle springs,  stick with the Bachmann EZ Mate II or the full sized McHenry couplers.

Bob Rule, Jr.

I agree Bob.

I just put those plastic couplers in a box. anytime I tried to pull a 30+ car train it was a PITA to keep them all coupled. I think I have over 150 of those plastic couplers that have never been used.
Kadee #5 is still one of the best way to go

hobo1

athearn trains is already setting up shop in china like eveyone else did.dont be surprised when you hear it . its the only way they can stay competative.If americans were still making trains an athearn bb kit would be double what it is now. when they all of china the they'll move their operations to india or some other cheap labor country When the chinese workers standard of living rises so does the price of model trains

Atlantic Central

hobo1,

FACT - Athearn blue box kits are still made in the USA.

FACT - Athearn ready to roll is made in China, and it is my understanding from people who know, that at least some of the parts are still made here and sent to China for painting and assembly with some other parts being made over there.

This is nothing new. In the 1980's MATCO TOOLS bought German steel, sent it Japan for the first part of the socket manufacturing process, then shipped the half finished sockets to New Brittan Conn. to complete the process.

MATCO also bought screwdriver blades from Germany and put them in handles made here.

When the US government stops taxing and regulating industry to death, stuff will be made here.

Sheldon

RAM

Hobo1, You just might be stepping over the line of the Code of Conduct.