News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2009 Catalog

Started by Yampa Bob, March 08, 2009, 01:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

I just received the 2009 catalog, haven't had time for a thorough review but it's a much handier size to have beside my computer for quick reference. The text is a bit small for me, but overall very good quality. Nicely done Bachmann.

I noted a few significant changes in the lineup.

USRA Medium tenders have been dropped, along with two of the Medium Vanderbilts. Hicken style only available in Southern Pacific.

Hard to tell from the picture angles, but it appears all tenders have male connectors, at least no harnesses are visible. Perhaps a move toward better compatibility and consistency.

Spectrum 2-8-0 w/Sound, five of last year's models dropped, two C&O added.   

Spectrum 2-8-0 non-sound, they appear to be history, available only in sets. I have four (3 new in the box) so I'm not too disappointed.

Seems to be a trend toward larger and smaller steam, with medium such as the Connies losing favor.

I only noted one error so far. The page for the 0-6-0 Saddle Tank Switcher has a "DCC on board" banner, but the features lists it as "DCC ready". If all the requests are a good indicator, it should be a popular item.

A notable improvement is recommended ("Performs best") radius for each locomotive.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CNE Runner

Hi Bob: I haven't yet seen the 2009 Bachmann catalog; but will order one after I finish this post. I wonder why Bachmann doesn't offer the catalog in PDF format online? I already have several catalogs on the hard drive...this saves paper, gasoline, and doesn't take up landfill space. How about it Mr. Bach Man?

Just wonderin' in Bama,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Mike

Ray- Great idea. And the "printing" of the catalog would cost Bachmann $000.00! You have my vote!!- Mike

az2rail

I disagree. My girl friend will leave me if I move the computer to the bathroom.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Yampa Bob

Hey Bruce, I'm with you on that. I love the size of the new catalog (8.5" X 6.5"), it often accompanies me to the "throne room", and fits nicely in my small travel bag. The pages and binding are more flexible, and the book lays open without using a 5 pound weight.

Besides, a PDF version would probably be over 200 megabytes in full color, that would take about a month to download with my slow dialup.

pdlethbridge

Bob, do you take your small travel bag to the "throne room"? Get enough catalogs and this will save on the use of 'other' paper products. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yampa Bob

No, my travel bag is for our trips to Denver. Sometimes we stay overnight, and I always take books along because motel TV sucks.

Back on the farm, we had the Sears catalog. Dual purpose.  :D

doug c

"....and doesn't take up landfill space"

We recycle when the time comes when the pages are so worn and faded . . . . .     

Although online would be nice, till we can acquire a complimentary hard copy !

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

richG

Yes, I would like to have the PDF catalog. Saves on paper. If Bachmann would sell the PDF catalog online for $5.00, I would buy it.
One thing that does annoy me is Bachmann will modify some of  the products during the year and we find out through model rail road online shops.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I think we're "taking a dirt road".  My purpose in starting this thread was to get member's reactions or comments regarding the changes, additions and deletions to the Bachmann lineup. New items you're glad to see, how the deletions affect your plans, what you had hoped to see added, etc.

I was a bit surprised at the demise of the Connies non sound, and dropping five  sound models. I had planned on buying a sound version, but now I'll concentrate on adding sound to my Connie tank conversion.

The biggest disappointment to me was discontinuing the USRA Medium tenders.  I have spent many a happy hour chopping and converting them into custom tenders, powered canteens, or other cars using the chassis and wheel pickups for various lighting effects.  Oh well, tenders are very easy to scratch build.   8)

CNE Runner

Hey Guys thanks for reminding me of the need for reading material in the "yard office". As we speak there is the latest issues of Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, the Micro Mark catalog as well as the last monthly flyer from Walthers alongside the command seat. Hmmm...Bruce you might just have something when you mention a laptop in the bathroom. I could do all my research AND order stuff whilst otherwise engaged.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

I feel like I'm talking to myself (I do that a lot). I think we all agree that having magazines in the "head"  can be handy in a pinch.

Maybe if I started a thread on "Throne Rooms", I might get a comment or two on the content of the new Bachmann catalog.   :D 

az2rail

Sorry there Bob.

First thing I looked at was the Thomas sets. I plan on getting the Thomas  with Annie and Clarabel set as a present for my nephew. For myself, as I sell my O gauge, I want to get Bachmann's new 2-6-6-2T mallet, and a K-27 this year.

Car wise, there is nothing new, and nothing I need. But that is good. I can consentrate on the engines.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Ned

Received mine yesterday (and only ordered it Tuesday).

I'm primarily interested in On30 but will add the "Pegasus" set to my collection.

Was hoping for some addition to the On30 brewery cars and a Christmas car so some disappointment there...would also welcome an On30 version of the HO Open-sided Excursion cars.

As Mr. B is fond of saying, I will continue to "Anticipate."

Ned

boomertom

I got a complementary 2009 catalog with my E-Z Command replacement. I haven't had a lot of time to examine it in detail, but did notice a few items I might be interested in.

I discovered That the C&O rostered a few 4-6-0's acquired in the Hocking Valley merger that survived into the early fifties that might be neat to have.

Catalogues - what dreams are made of.
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)