News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Disable DC function on DCC engines:

Started by engr.todd, March 09, 2009, 11:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

engr.todd

On another forum someone mentioned something about disabling the DC function on a DCC on board Bachman engine, does anybody know anything about this? It was said to enable better or smoother starting and stopping on these engines. No other information was given.

Anybody know?
Bob
Keep em on the rail :-)

jward

i don't know how disabling the dc function would make a locomotive run smoother......

on some dcc systems when you power up the layout some decoders will power up the locomotive at full throttle. nothing like a runaway to liven theings up. disabling the dc function prevents this from happening.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

engr.todd

Jeff;
I don't know anything about it. I just saw it on the MR forum. They didn't mention how to accomplish this but said it would make for better starts and stops on DCC?

Just thought I'd throw it on the table to see if anyone knows anything about this function.

Thanks,
Bob

HO-Ron

CV29 Bit 2 (counting from zero) This bit is forced off on some of the older DCC only sound decoders.
HO-Ron
Regards, Ron

engr.todd

Thanks Ron. One of the guys from our club said he knows what that's all about and can do it. I'm gonna try it on one of my 45 tonners just to see if it really makes a difference.
Bob

Jim Banner

Turning off analogue (dc) control in the locomotive will not give you smoother starts.  Turning off analogue control in the command station often will.  The longer time between DCC commands that occurs when zero stretching is in use can make a locomotive accelerate erratically, especially if the tracks are dirty enough to make the headlights flicker or the locomotive's decoder is not using 128 speed steps.

Try this test:  Set full speed on channel zero (channel 10 on E-Z Command.)  Then run a DCC locomotive on its DCC address.  Next, turn the analogue channel (0 or 10) to zero speed and rerun the DCC locomotive.  Do they run equally smoothly or not?  If so, don't worry, be happy.  If not, then shut off analogue operation in your command station (if possible) or ban analogue operation on your layout.

I should add that cleaning your tracks and wheels, plus adding a tiny bit of oil to the tops of the rails, will go a long way toward making starts smoother.  Just as it always has done in dc.
last comment added 10 March 2009
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Since I have EZ Command, I can't comment on other controllers. However, all my locomotive decoders are still in dual mode. I've never had a problem with runaways or any other issue. If my locos ran any faster they would be flying off the tracks.

Besides, I have a DC powered test track in my office, very handy for troubleshooting and tuneups. 

As for the MR forum, I think it's mostly just unsubstantiated opinions. (Here in the West, we call it something else)  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

Yampa,

When the 2-10-2 I put the TSU-1000 Sound decoder in would not run I gave Soundtraxx a call.  Sources there said CV29 has to be set to enable "dual mode" or DC and DCC.  The decoder installs DCC only (mine did).

But the 2-10-2 with the Bachmnn DCC only in it (same 2-10-2) it would run on on DC and DCC tracks.

...you gather buffalo chips too?...   :D
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman