News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

zephyr

Started by Daylight4449, March 08, 2009, 04:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I have decided on the zephy, anyone know where to get a good deal on it. I want to switch to dcc now.

Tim

Daylight4449

Linda & Bruce at Litchfield Station will take good care of you.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/index.htm

I have been dealing with them for years.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

jward

i have seen the zephyr advertised in a number of places for around $150.

unless your locomotives are dcc equipped, you'll want to pick up a couple of decoders as well.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

If you live in North America, Tony's Train Exchange is a good choice.

http://www.tonystrains.com/products/digitrax_stsets.htm
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

I'll see your Tonys and raise you one Caboose (Hobbies that is)  :D

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=264&products_id=87613

Just had to put in a plug for my favorite store. They should put me on commission for all the customers I've sent to them, not to mention the free advertising.   8)

Jim...as a matter of curiousity, how would you rate the Zephyr learning curve and ease of programming?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Yampa Bob

Can you beat a Spade Royal Flush?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

only if you provide the sears catalog

Jim Banner

Learning to operate the Zephyr is a lot like learning to operate a computer.  The more you want it to do, the more you have to learn.  But like a computer, you don't have to learn the things you don't want/need it to do.

To start using the Zephyr to run locomotives that are already programmed, you have to learn a bit more than you would have to learn to do the same thing with an E-Z Command.  For example, you have to learn the difference between 2 digit and 4 digit addresseses.  And if you have any old 14 step decoders in your fleet, you may have to select between 7 step and 28/128.

It is when you get into programming that there is a lot more to learn.  Learning how to program a 2 digit address requires about the same learning as programing a 2 digit address with the E-Z Command, except that you have 117 more address to choose from.  Four digit addresses are equally easy to learn.  Even learning to program individual CVs is easy enough, once you can change addresses.  What is harder is learning what all of the hundreds of CVs do and how to select the values to enter into them.  Sound.  Speed matching locomotives.  BEMF cruise control.  Multiple methods of consisting locomotives.  Special lighting effects.  Or anything else that your decoders support.  Once you understand what the CVs do, you can work with all of them.

There are other things to learn to do with the Zephyr, if you ever decide that you want to do them and acquire the necessary additional hardware.  Using stationary decoders to operate switch machines, or just about anything else you want to turn on and off.  Route control, where a single command will set numerous turnouts  in patterns that you select.  Transponding, where you can track the location of all your trains.  And if you connect your computer to your layout with a suitable interface and software, you can use track side signals, automatic operation, virtual dispatcher panels, and even remote control over the internet.  The learning curve never ends.  Nor does the usefulness of the Zephyr.  If your railroad ever outgrows the Zephyr, you can still use it as part of a larger system, working along with other Digitrax products.  For example, you can use it as a yard booster.  Or as a throttle.  Or even both at the same time.  And even while it is doing those jobs, it can be used to program locomotives on a separate track without ever having to shut the railroad down.

Flexible?  Yes.
Easy to learn to run trains?  Yes.
Easy to learn everything it can do?  No.
Any down sides?  Yes.  The manual.  Like many computer manuals, it tells you how to do things but not why you would want to do them.  The manual is also weak in the Index department.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

boomertom

Best of all its made in the USA!

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)