News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smalll sounds

Started by siemer, April 29, 2009, 06:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

siemer

I'm starting an old-time themed N gauge layout and am wondering who if anyone produces steam-era locos in that gauge with factory-installed DCC and sound.  Failing that, is there a reliable and moderately affordable source for conversion of a DC loco to DCC and sound or a DCC loco to sound?  I'm great at mountains and roadbed but when it comes to mechanical work on something that small, I have 10 thumbs.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Conrail Quality

I'm not sure what you would define as "old-timed", but the only steam locomotives available in N-scale with factory-installed sound (to my knowledge) are the Athearn Challenger and Big Boy, and the Life-Like Mallet.

As for aftermarket installations, I don't know anything about it.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

siemer

Timothy, thanks.  That's a start and I appreciate the response.

dtpowell

I saw a video of Model Power 4-4-0 with sound on U-Tube. You'll probably find it and more there. I heard it was a difficult conversion. The loco is amazing and I would think well worth the effort. I think the poster mentions it in his text.

The only other non commercial conversion I've seen is a LifeLike Berkshire at the Dayton, Oh.  train show this past March. The owner drilled many small nearly invisible holes in the coal load for the speaker. He used two DCC modules. One to control the loco speed in the boiler and another for the sounds in the tender. He said when he used only one the loco over heated. Lot of work, but the it was a gem. He did a beautiful job.

I get a kick outta hearing these little guys run with there big Whistles, bells, and Chugs.
Personally, I own a LifeLike Y3 with sounds and run it on DC and am very pleased.

I never thought I'd ever see O scale type sounds in N scale. We've come along way. I would be too surprised if the smaller locos get sounds too. Give it a few years.