News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann 4-6-6-4 challenger proposal

Started by jwoj69, March 09, 2009, 02:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwoj69

athearn challecger is nice but almost $300 bugs. Rivarosi challenger is a old design dyes were made i middle ages (ha ha) and there is not many left.
bachmann has 2-6-6-2 beautiful engine (my wedding pic ar my 2-6-6-2 standing alone tough call which one i like better). 2-6-6-2 spectrum engine close to perfection. some body work, new tender. change front truck from 2 wheels to 4 front and back and hear he is
spectrum 4-6-6-4 challenger. LETS FIND OUT HOW MANY VOTES WOULD MAKE BACHMANN CONCIDER PRODUCTION. THERE IS COMPETITON, BUT MARKET IS GOOD TO.
I SAY LETS VOTES AND SUBMIT OUR SIGNATURES FOR CHALLENGER TO SEE IF THE WOULD APPROVE. IF NOT HOW MANY MORE WOULD IT TAKE.
WHOP IS WITH ME?
I SAY SPECTRUN CHALLENGER COME TO US:
1. JWOJ69 JACKW VOTE NUMBER ONE
2. YOUR VOTE HERE

TCWORLD

Depending on the price they could produce it for, i'd sure like to see one. The 2-6-6-2 is a great engine, and a 4-6-6-4 would be even better.
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

Williamson

Given that the Bachmann Heavy USRA Mountain has a list price of $250, I doubt if you'd gain much price wise on the athearn offering.

I'd much rather see Bachmann produce a loco that someone else isnt currently making.

Mark

r0bert

That's not really practical , as the only common thing is the two sets of six drivers, and  even those are not similar.

The Bachmann is much smaller, from the drivers up

C855B

Bachmann does steam well, at a reasonable market price. But so does Athearn. Even if Bachmann pared the development expenses to the bone, you're still talking about a $275-325 end result. Also, the Challenger has been over-done, with two plastic versions and at least two brass versions over the past three decades. The Athearn model represents the apex of the craft at this point.

With less variance these days between producers, duplicate products benefit nobody and actually damage the market because it takes longer to recover the fixed costs.

So... want a Challenger? Buy the Athearn. It's good... really good. Prevail on Bachmann to make something different. Like an FEF-3. ;D

Williamson

Quote from: C855B on March 10, 2009, 10:31:35 AM

So... want a Challenger? Buy the Athearn. It's good... really good. Prevail on Bachmann to make something different. Like an FEF-3. ;D

For the FEF - look to Athearn, their steam locos in N so far have been directly taken from their HO lineup so far, so I would not be surprised if the FEF is Athearn's next N steamer:

James in FL

QuoteI SAY LETS VOTES ...

I "votes" nay.
I would much rather see Bachmann focus their next steam effort on a Pacific, either light or heavy versions.

thirdrail

Of all the thousands of different steam locomotives needed in N scale, we certainly do not need a repeat of one that has already been made twice as a plastic and metal RTR model. As a Pennsy modeler I could use a K4s Pacific, an H10s Consolidation, an H6sb Consolidation, an I1sa Decapod, and a C1 0-8-0.

As long as Bachmann has made the 3751 class 4-8-4 of the ATSF in N, I am surprised it has never made a 5011 class 2-10-4. After all, these made it East in the Summer of 1956 and 1957 to move coal to Lake Erie on the PRR!

But, the wheel arrangement most wanted in N and not available is the Ten-Wheeler. It was also among the most common built. Give us a CNJ or RDG Camelback or a PRR or LIRR G5s!

jwoj69

I DO NOT THING MANY PEOPLE LIKE MY IDEA OF BACHMANN PRODUCING 4-6-6-4 ( EVEN THEIR PRICE PROBABLY WOULD BE LESS THAN HALF OF ATHEARN) I HAVE ON ENGINE EVERYONE WOULD LOVE. 4-8-8-2 CAB FORWARD. I SEEN IN BRASS AND RIVAROSSI SUPPOSELY MADE ONE. IT IS ON BREATH TAKING DESIGN.

thirdrail

The Espee 4-8-8-2 Cab Forwards are due from InterMountain next month.  :o

jwoj69

thidrail post it that intermountain will come with cab forward next month, any idea on pricing?

C855B

Quote from: jwoj69 on March 14, 2009, 01:33:46 AM
I DO NOT THING MANY PEOPLE LIKE MY IDEA OF BACHMANN PRODUCING 4-6-6-4 ( EVEN THEIR PRICE PROBABLY WOULD BE LESS THAN HALF OF ATHEARN)...
Apologies to the others, but I can't let this pass...

You clearly don't have a realistic (or, possibly, current) notion of what it costs to commercially produce a model, and how the startup and tooling costs - tens of thousands of dollars - have to be recovered in the retail price. Half? Less than half? For a very complex new model with new tooling? No way. Absolutely no way. B'mann might be able to produce it, but MSRP is still going to be in the $300 ballpark.

The only "mistake" that Athearn made is not offering the Challenger in a soundless version. That adds roughly $100 to the sale price due to multiple technology licensing issues. Maybe your tack here should be to prevail on Athearn for exactly that - no sound, knock a Ben Franklin off the price.

Again - you want a Challenger, buy the Athearn. Let Bachmann add to the variety by offering other prototypes.

C855B

Quote from: jwoj69 on March 15, 2009, 06:31:49 PM
thidrail post it that intermountain will come with cab forward next month, any idea on pricing?

Estimated MSRP is $329.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: C855B on March 16, 2009, 11:36:34 AM

The only "mistake" that Athearn made is not offering the Challenger in a soundless version. That adds roughly $100 to the sale price due to multiple technology licensing issues. Maybe your tack here should be to prevail on Athearn for exactly that - no sound, knock a Ben Franklin off the price.

Again - you want a Challenger, buy the Athearn. Let Bachmann add to the variety by offering other prototypes.

I have to agree with you on that one. Also in HO, many companys don't sell models with sound without sound. That's holding me back from buying many models.

jwoj69

I AGREE, IF IT COMES TO THE SOUND ISSUE. THAT IS MY REASON TO SEEK BACHMANN MAKING CHALLENGER. I THINK IT WOULD BE EASIER TO CONVINCED BACHMANN MAKING ONE, THAN ASK AETHARN TO SLICE THEIR HUGE PROFIT AND CUTOUT SOUND. SINCE I'M DEAF I NEED IT TO HEAR SOMEBODY ELSE BRINGING SOUND ISSUE.
I SEEN WHAT THAT DECODER CAN DO TO PRICE. FEW YEARS AGO I BOTH IT LIFELIKE HERITAGE 2-8-8-2 MALLET FOR ABOUT $140 THEIR STORE PRICE WAS AROUND $200. NOW WALTEHRS SELL THEM WITH SOUND FOR $300. AS MUCH AS AETHERN CHALLENGER!!
I GOT SPECRUM 2-6-6-2 (GREAT DETAIL AND POWER ENGINE) FOR LESS THAN A 100 BUGS!!!!
IF YOU THINKING ABOUT TOOLING PRICE THINK HOW MUCH BACHMANN CAN RECOVER BY JUST SELLING 1000 ENGINES ???