News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 Noisy Sometimes

Started by Sunshine Express, February 28, 2009, 05:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

My 2-8-0 only 9 months old has started to make a noise like hammer blows you would expect from an old worn out loco. This only happens now and then,and I suspect it is noticeable on some curves. I realise the limitation of curve sizes but it starts to happen before it gets to the curve,on a long straight .Otherwise it is very quiet. Suggestions welcome to make for better running.
Owen C Robinson

Mike

You might check for bent side rods and/or side rods needing lubrication (use only plastic compatible lubricans...NOT WD 40 or three-in-one!!)

Sunshine Express

Thanks  Mike,I inspected the rods as suggested,and gave it an oiling with Labelle.Noise not so pronounced now. Years ago my problem was over oiling.
Cheers Owen
Owen C Robinson

Sunshine Express

The real problem now found ;  My expert train repairer,has found that a tooth has broken off the  main drive cogwheel.He has been in touch with Bachmann,but cannot buy this part alone. He has ordered as required the extra part/parts to get this cog.He found by testing that the motor spun in forwards when the wheels were held. I have heard the motor spin myself,when it derailed,perfhaps this caused the cog to break off,since the wheels were locked on the rails(when derailed). Even though it is still under warranty(9months old)the cost of postage to the US,because of the large presentation box would have cost me $33 AU,and then u nknown after that. I know Bachmann are good with replace ment of a badly made loco,as I had one replaced years ago,but this 2-8-0 is a different story.I figured it would be cheaper and locally handled by a man who has worked on many different types and well respected in the hobby,even if it ends up costing me $50Au +,.The postage for parts in my case will be shared with his as he sources spares regularly from Bachmann. I take some blame for my problem,as this loco is not really suited to tight curves,and curved points,even though it has driving wheels which move side to side.
Don't let them derail .   Learning the hard way.
Owen C Robinson