News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Remotor engines w/DCC on board:

Started by engr.todd, March 03, 2009, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engr.todd

Seems the Bachman engines with DCC on board don't seem to have power or torque like they should. Do I need to remotor or change decoders?
Keep em on the rail :-)

pdlethbridge

Have you given them a couple of hours of break in time? My diesels were that way at first but are much better now after running them for a while.

engr.todd

Yes I've given them good break in time. They run much better with time on them but they still seem very mild and don't have the pulling power of the two motor ones. The two motored ones didn't last but I've bought 5 of the can motor units (70 ton) and two of the new 45 tonners and they seem to me not very powerful? The two new 45 ton switchers have a good hour break in both directions and are running great just seem to not have the torque they should at starting? Wondering if remotor would get any more torque out of em?
Bob

Yampa Bob

Hi Bob,
All of my Bachmann DCC over the road locomotives will pull 15 or more cars at 100 to 130 mph. Even my small 44 Ton switcher will pull 10 cars at 60 mph. The factory motors are designed for maximum torque at reasonable current draw.

Remember real locomotives don't take off fast, it takes a bit to overcome inertia and get the train rolling.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

engr.todd

Bob;
Thanks for the reply.
My cars are all metal wheeled and run very well. I've pulled 110 car trains on my layout. You can view my layout in the July 08 issue of MR, it's the C&NW at Des Moines, Iowa. It's not my cars or the track.

I have over 70 engines and they all run strong but these little DCC on board Bachmans really seem to have no low end torque. I never run above scale 40 MPH on my main line. These little engines pull all the cars they need to pull, they're only branch line engines and nothing over 25 MPH, it's just that they don't run well at really slow speeds, no torque. It's like they're made to run full out?

I'm just wondering if a re motor from NorthWest Short Lines might be what I'm looking for in power? I wonder too about the decoders? Are they a full amp or more?

Thanks again,
Bob

Yampa Bob

I think the problem with these little locos is that they are geared too high. My 44 Ton looks ridiculous going 60 mph around the track, I clocked it at 75 with no cars.

The motors are simply "toy" motors.  I used to buy these same motors in bulk for 50 cents each, all made by Mabuchi at that time. In a loco, they may draw from .18 to .30 amp with moderate loading.

As for the decoder, it doesn't matter if it is a full 1 amp or not. You could use a 2 amp decoder, but the motor still only draws the same .18 to .30 amp.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

boomertom

75 mph! Reminds me of my first HO locomotive - Athearn's Hustler. It had two speeds, stopped and supersonic!

From what you guys are saying I think a remotor might be the best solution.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

engr.todd

Day three on running them in. They are definitly running better each time I run them but they still have that low end torquelessness. I'll have to do some checking with NorthWest Short Line and see what they have for a replacement motor.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Bob

pdlethbridge

If you can adjust CV's 3 and 4, that can change the acceleration/deceleration rates. CV's 5 and 6 can be set to limit your top and middle speed.  My engines are set to 8 on cv's3 and 4 and 100 on cv 5 and 50 on cv 6. The top speed is more than cut in half by setting at 100, it can be set to 255.

engr.todd

The CV adjustments are a can do. I will give it a try.
Thanks guys for all the imput.

Bob

engr.todd

Quote from: pdlethbridge on March 04, 2009, 09:39:12 AM
If you can adjust CV's 3 and 4, that can change the acceleration/deceleration rates. CV's 5 and 6 can be set to limit your top and middle speed.  My engines are set to 8 on cv's3 and 4 and 100 on cv 5 and 50 on cv 6. The top speed is more than cut in half by setting at 100, it can be set to 255.
I got the CVs' set last evening and it runs even better. I left CV5 @ 255 as the engine only has a scale top speed of about 25MPH but had no success at CV6 mid range, it was set at 5? CV 3 is 0 and CV 4 at 5. I like the way it performs much better now. Thanks for all the help.
Bob