Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spell Checker

Started by boomertom, March 12, 2009, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bevernie

Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 12, 2009, 10:55:35 PM
Quote from: 3rail on March 12, 2009, 10:32:25 PM
What do you know! We have a spell check feature built in and it was never turned on!

Seems to work fine, just click on the button at the bottom of the posting box before you click post.

Regards,

3rail

If only it was used.  Some of the posting on this board need a spell check, never mind trying to correct the grammar.

GREETINGS!! ;D"IF" only it WAS used???   IF only it WERE used!! :o
     Wilt the POT  call the KETTLE BLACK?? :-\
      "Get the MOTE out of thine own eye"!!  ::)
      Gene, we also need, SERIOUSLY a GRAMMAR CHECK!! :-*
       Oh, and btw, the last SMILEY in the example posted by JOSHUA was throwing a KISS!! Doesn't look like he was too ABUSED (perhaps AMUSED!!)!!
       In the words of the late Mr. Paul Harvey...     "GOOOOOOD DAY!!"
                                                                                             THANX!!
                                                        8)                                     Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Woody Elmore

Why would I need Spell checker? I already can rede and spel gud.

There are sociologists and linguists doing studies that claim that in fifty years time no one will know how to write.

Penmanship is not being emphasized as it once was due to increased time in school being spent on preparing for exams mandated by No Child Left Behind.

That is too bad because penmanship develops fine motor skills in young children and they will need that when they work on their trains.

A big culprit in the spelling/grammar problem is the invention of text-messaging. A fellow teacher received a text message from a student and after trying to decipher it, thought that maybe he should contact an expert on secret code! The message was all abbreviations and contained - you guessed it - a smiley face at the end!

Yampa Bob

From the Bloomsbury Good Word Guide:

'Was' vs 'Were': Difficulty is sometimes experienced in the use of the subjunctive form 'were' in phrases expressing supposition. The basic rule is that 'were' is used when the suggestion is of something hypothetical, unlikely, or not actually the case. When a supposition might be possible or factual then either 'was' or 'were' may be used.

Since it is possible we might see better grammar, "If only it was used" is not improper. The only phrase that grates me is "I have got".  

I won many spelling bees as a child, probably because my Mother was a teacher. I can usually spot a misspelled word after I type it, but I keep a dictionary by my computer.  I am a touch typist, so I only look at the screen.   8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Woody Elmore on March 13, 2009, 10:04:06 AM
Why would I need Spell checker? I already can rede and spel gud.

There are sociologists and linguists doing studies that claim that in fifty years time no one will know how to write.

Penmanship is not being emphasized as it once was due to increased time in school being spent on preparing for exams mandated by No Child Left Behind.

That is too bad because penmanship develops fine motor skills in young children and they will need that when they work on their trains.

A big culprit in the spelling/grammar problem is the invention of text-messaging. A fellow teacher received a text message from a student and after trying to decipher it, thought that maybe he should contact an expert on secret code! The message was all abbreviations and contained - you guessed it - a smiley face at the end!

"Don't shoot!"
Alex

rogertra

Wee have a spill chuck-er! 

I wood never have gassed.

Is it waking now?

Jim Banner

For Roger:

I have a spell checker

It came with my PC It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot see

Eye ran this poem threw it Your sure real glad two no Its very polished in its own weigh My chequer tolled me sew

A cheek or is a blessing It freeze yew lodes of thyme It helps me right awl stiles two reed And aides me when aye rime

Now spilling does not phase me It does knot bring a tier My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud And wee mussed dew the best wee can Sew flaws are knot aloud

So ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas And why eye brake in two averse Buy righting want to please

-Author Unknown

Spell checkers are great, but don't replace proof reading!
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jim Banner

favor favour color colour meter metre modeler modeller tire tyre

I just realized the new spell checker is bilingual - English and American.  Ya gotta love it.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Ah, but does it know what a rear quarter light is?  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

bevernie

;DGREETINGS!! :o I am reminded of the probably now INFAMOUS words of the GREAT AND HONORABLE Mr,B: "HAVE FUN!!"      ;D
     GOOOD DAY!! :-*
                                                                                           THANX!!
                                                              8)                             Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

3rail

Jim,

That was funny.  I read that many years ago, but it is still a good laugh.

The spell checker is only a tool like a calculator is for math.  If you don't understand math the calculator is not much help.

Regards,

3rail

Yampa Bob

Spell checker says Yampa Bob is a "sweet potato".  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

I thought that was a Yampa Gold.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Terry Toenges

I wish I was in the land of Bachmann. Old trains there are not forgotten. Looky there. looky there. 4-4-0.
Feel like a Mogul.

James in FL

Quote[I just realized the new spell checker is bilingual - English and American.  Ya gotta love it.

Oh... that's good.

Thanks Jim, for putting a smile on my face today.

Santa Fe buff

bevernie,
Don't get any ideas! I was playing around... Or was I? Yes, I was. ;)

Josh
- Joshua Bauer