News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railroad Songs

Started by WGL, March 13, 2009, 04:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

Steve Magee

If you like your train songs a little later (ie, diesel and not steam :-) ) here's another one on You Tube. "Indian Pacific", by one of Australias greatest songsmiths, Slim Dusty.

If anybody wants any Aussie-isms translated, feel free to ask. :)

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Woody Elmore

Once, on a visit to Croatia, I was subjected to an evening of ethnic Croatian song and dance. To my surprise a dance troop came out and danced to what sounded like "She'll be coming round the mountain." The tour leader claimed that the tune was originally from Croatia. I'm not too sure about that.

A favorite album of mine is "Trio" with Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmy Lou Harris. There's a great tune on the album called, "Are there any boxcars in Heaven?"

boomertom

Woody,

There better be boxcars in heaven, otherwise I'm staying here !~ ;D

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

SteamGene

I got the second, but the first said it was removed.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

My living will states "cremation".  My wife says she will keep the layout going, so instead of the usual urn, I want the ashes loaded into a covered hopper.  Any left over she can use for ballast.  :D

"I fooled you, I fooled you, I got pig iron, I got pig iron, I got all pig iron".

Well the rock island line is a might good road
Oh the rock island line is the road to ride
The rock island line is a mighty good road
Well if you want to ride you gotta ride it like you find it
Get your ticket at the station for the rock island line

Now the engineer said before he died,
there were two more drinks he'd like to have tried,
the doctor asked him "what could they be"
he said "a hot cup of coffee and a cold glass of tea"
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

You better arrange for someone to help her if she uses your ashes for ballast. There will be a very serious "dead" short ;D

WGL

Gene, one is "The Wreck of the Old 97" sung by Roy Acuff & the other is
"Moving On" sung by Hank Snow.  Maybe a search on UTube will get the one for you as it did for me.  There are recordings by other singers, too.  I just tested this link, & it worked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTBF6gj_K9M&feature=PlayList&p=3FBC92F0E660D66E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41

Bill

Steve Magee

I posted the message, but not the link to Indian Pacific. I shall claim seniors moment ... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRCYWhAvxY

Steve Magee

Yampa Bob

Steve,
My senior moments have turned into senior hours. Uh, which way did they go?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

renniks

The second link from WGL gives you "Movin On" then in the "related videos" panel at right gives you "Chattanooga Choo Choo".
    Third link gives "Wreck of the Old 97" and related vids gives you "Wabash Cannonball".

Eric UK

SteamGene

"Wreck of the Old 97" - the quintessential railroad song.  (First American song to sell a million records, btw)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jsmvmd

As I said on another thread several years ago, "Blue Railroad Train" by Doc Watson is a goodun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsZ6qRYsaJ8

Tony Rice did it, too.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=post;topic=8683.0;num_replies=11

Hope you like 'em!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Rangerover

I'm a country music fan anyhow, but the best I ever heard was from "The Singing Brakeman, Jimmy Rodgers, all old train songs.

Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Blues, as mentioned Rock Island Line, also  his randiton of The Orange Blossom Special and The Wreck of Old 97, and Hey Porter.