News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railroad Songs

Started by WGL, March 13, 2009, 04:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

How about Roy Acuff singing "Wabash Cannonball?" I have it on CD but haven't played it lately.

SteamGene

Arlo Guthrie singing "The City of New Orleans."  Anybody singing "The Big Rock Candy Mountain."  There's one kid's site which has it and all kinds of dire warnings about "lake of gin" and "cigarette trees."  "Blue Water Line." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Steve Magee

One song not listed yet, suprising considering who sings it, is Neil Young's "Southern Pacific". For those who don't know, Neil Young (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; Crazy Horse) is as well known model and real railroad fan. At one stage he bailed Lionel out of a hole becoming a part-owner, and took a semi with a layout in it to his gigs.

Oddly enough, cant think of a specific train song from Rod Stewart. :)

Steve Magee
Who, even more oddly, is a classical music lover - but finds good in all sorts of music

WGL

Terry Toenges

Does "The Locomotion" by Little Eva count?
Feel like a Mogul.

Steve Magee

Not so much a song, but Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs "Orange Blossom Special". Cannot count "Locomotion", even if Kylie Minogue sings it. :-)

Steve Magee

WGL

Although one reason why I especially like "Wreck of the Old 97" is the use of railroad terms, I'm not sure what "a line on a three-mile grade" means.  I guess "You can see what a jump he made." means how far the locomotive jumped off the track.

BIG BEAR

My favorite version of the "Orange Blossom Special" was done by Boxcar Willie. Man could he wail out some whistle sounds.
       Enjoy,
         Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Yampa Bob

Yeah, Boxcar Willie is great.

I don't have any videos to contribute, so I'll search for CDs. You can play short samples here.

http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=731497

Roy Acuff is my favorite, he made his debut on the Opry with Wabash Cannonball.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

bachwolf

Can't believe no-one's mentioned On The Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe! http://www.56.com/u33/v_MjM3MTc5NTg.html
Sure, the song may be as gay as an Easter warbonnet but what showtune ain't? No reason to leave it out.
Although I draw the line at Starlight Express.