News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

swithcher tracks

Started by bobthomas, March 13, 2009, 11:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobthomas

I am having problems with the swithching track pieces.When I swith directions :(making a turn,rather than going straight) the loco wants to derail or is very rough sounding, How can I fix this problem>I'm happy with everything else but this.All the switching pieces do the same thing.

BestSnowman

Are the tracks all level? I had one switch that was derailing once in a while because the track that was connected wasn't lined up correctly and was creating a small bump.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jayl1

Did you also check the gauge of wheels of the locomotive?  They may be out of gauge.

Check the switch  points (end of the part that moves).  It may not be closing correctly.

Jim Banner

There is one invaluable tool that every model railroader faced with this problem should have in his tool box.  And that is an NMRA track and wheel gauge.  Most derailments at turnouts are caused by something being out of gauge.  With a track and wheel gauge,  can check the gauge of both the wheels and the track to see which one is causing the problem. 

Gauge (or gage) of the track is simply the distance between the rails.  The gauge of the wheels is the distance between the backs of the wheels.  The wheels on cars found in train sets are often a little too close together.  This helps the train stay on the track even after the track has been walked on or nailed down too tight (both of which tend to narrow the track gauge.)  These under gauge wheels work okay until you introduce turnouts.  Turnouts are very particular about wheels being exactly in gauge, particularly on the diverging (curved) route.

edited to improve readability
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.