News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help Identifing a item

Started by kherriage, March 14, 2009, 01:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kherriage

Purchased a box of N scale items in an estate sale and found this. Would like to know what it is.
Thanks thirdrail for the help..

Thanks
Keith

James in FL

It appears, to me, to be a 16 wheel tender included with Bachmann's Northern 4-8-4.

kherriage

Thanks James,

That's it. appreciate your help.

Keith

James in FL

Something appears to be amiss with the drawbar.

Have you modified it?
Perhaps it's broken off short?
Did you shorten it for more realistic close coupling?

It may well be my old tired eyes seeing something that isn't.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: James in FL on March 14, 2009, 08:02:02 PM
Something appears to be amiss with the drawbar.

Have you modified it?
Perhaps it's broken off short?
Did you shorten it for more realistic close coupling?

It may well be my old tired eyes seeing something that isn't.

Just because the drawbar seems short, does'nt mean that he shortened it himself. There could've been part of the drawbar on the locomotive. Actually, you can almost completely tell that there was a drawbar on the loco. There would have to be a drawbar on it because there's a hook on the tender going down, so it would hook into a something else.

skipgear

That may be a first or second generation version of the tender. I think it and it's loco have gone through 5 variations since it was released.

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/bach484.html
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

James in FL

Your right skipgear, and thanks for pointing me back to Mark's excellent site.

I dug up my oldest version and it's as shown above, whereas the pin is molded to the front truck.
This version came in the black and clear pivot jewel case and is embossed "Hong Kong" on the bottom.

The latest version I have, was included with the new split frame loco. It was a replacement from B'mann for the old 4-8-4 which was returned when it finally went south after many years of service (fried motor).
The drawbar on it is connected to the forward truck bolster and is independent of the truck. It looks like, for lack of better words, a child's "bubble blow wand" in miniature, whereas it has a notched eye on the forward end to fit on a pin on the rear of the loco.
This newer version is packaged in the same case as are all the new spectrum locos.
This version is embossed "China" on the bottom.

Thanks for making me fish for it, as I found some other items I have which I haven't seen for years.
I have been looking for a bash I made several years ago, and still haven't found it.
It may well be in the bottom of that same box. ::)