News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound decoder for GP 35

Started by yguy, March 14, 2009, 12:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yguy

I have the Bachman CP Diesel 5006 DCC engine. Can I add a sound decoder to this unit? If so, what make and model? If not, do I have to replace the DCC unit with a completely different unit ??
Would the same advice apply to my other diesels 5003; 8205,8210??

Yampa Bob

I can only pass along what the sound installer at Caboose Hobbies told me about the Bachmann GPs, and it may not apply to your particular models. You should remove the shell and verify this information.

He said the DCC board has to be removed, and the metal casting cut away with a milling machine to make room for a sound decoder and speaker. Choice of installing a 750 Micro Tsunami or 1000 Standard depends on stall current of the motor.

All my GPs have a stall current of .65 amp or less, so the 750 is marginally adequate for mine.  Your models may have a higher stall current.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jward

if you do decide to install a sound decoder, the one you are looking for would have sounds for an EMD 567engine with turbo. while not exactly prototype, an EMD 645 with turbo, sometimes called "EMD second generation" is a passable substitute.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

I have a Bachmann GP35 (CR) and I would have liked to add some sound to this great runner (although it is a little noisy on its own). The advice I got, from a DCC decoder installer, was the engine isn't worth the added expense. The latest edition of Walthers Flyer has your locomotive on sale for $46.98 (I'm sure you can get it a little cheaper elsewhere)...doesn't seem like it is worth the cost and effort does it? After reading what Bob had to do with his GPs - I know that particular engine isn't worth it!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

I haven't installed sound in my GPs, just relating what the sound installer at Caboose Hobbies told me.  8)

CNE Runner

Gotcha Bob...I misunderstood your post. I still don't think the engine is worth upgrading.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

I agree, all my Bachmann GPs are great runners, but I wouldn't consider spending $120 to add sound to a $45 locomotive.  Of course there may be cheaper sound decoders available, but I'm totally sold on Tsunami.

yguy

I am a new member to this forum and thank you for your candid advice and suggestions
yguy

OkieRick

I called the folks at Soundtraxx to ask about adding sound to my DCC GP40.  The tech guy I spoke with said he hadn't cracked the Bachmann GP40 open yet to see what kind of room, if any, was available.   

I had mine opened for a look.  The installed DCC circuit board runs the length of the GP measuring roughly 5.75" x .75" - plenty of room for the Tsunami 645 (recommended for the GP40s) but there is virtually no room inside it shell of the loco for a speaker unless a couple could be fit in the fans area.

I have two GP38s I purchased on ebay - a ripped off loco and dummy that originally came with a Life-Like DC train set.  The loco ran for a couple weeks before quitting.  I figured once I get time and money if I still want to add a sound decoder to my GP40 I'll mount speakers in one of the 38s and drag it as a dummy.

Below is a 645.  Soundtraxx said it's a straight circuit board swap with 6 solder points:

2 motor
2 front light
2 rear light

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman