News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

pier sets

Started by mf5117, March 13, 2009, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

i was experimenting with graduated rises .i know im sapposed to keep it around 2 persent grade .but my loco's .going up hill pull fine .but on the down hill .they stall ,then pick up then stall then pick up .like there not getting voltage . my 70 ton switcher does fine . the 2 santa fe locos that come with the dcc set . and why would they sell something that has 1/4 to 5/16 " rise per foot . it says it is for a figure 8 .but due to the size of my layout .i was wanting to do a revercing loop back to the inner 18" rad .....any comments would help .and also is the #5 switches spdt co mom . like the switches that come with the r 18 switches .thanks mark f

mf5117

am i on this planet alone .excuse me if i didn't word myself right .is this an aa meeting .is there a 1st step  .i read the preamble . and thankyou for the email . ill go to another forum i guess. the 2 locos are the gp 40  i set up a half loop rise experimenting due to scenery . . i did not understand why pulling a load the engines ran fine no problems . when backing or going forward ,down the grade .my trains started and stop .and started and stop .like when you program the addresses .and the loco goes forward then backwards . and when it got down to the bottom it pick up and ran the loop.

SteamGene

You ask several questions.   According to the times posted, your second message was 40 minutes after the first.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly what you want.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Tylerf

I have only seen that problem once myself and it was when I consist my bachmann gp38 with another loco. I assume it was speed matching problems but why it jerks down the hill is unknown.

Yampa Bob

Since my layout is flat, I never have that problem. I think it has something to do with "Scaleable Speed Stabilization-BEMF" control.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will be in to comment, so stay tuned. No, you're not alone, it's just that the smart people go to bed early. Only we dummies and night owls stay up so late.  :D

Regards.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Daylight4449

Some poblem with track or loco is my guess, my grade is 4%, asd this very board figured out for me.

mf5117

good mourning everyone , after a little research .  . i bought the 2 engine digital commander set . for my 1st ho set .with the factory settings on the ft-a and the gp-40 locomotives .are basic settings for flat and horizontal operation .with the bachmann digital commander controller being an easy to uses  basic dcc unit . when running uphill or down hill grades . the load compensation on the cv setting would have to be tweaked for smooth operation at slow speeds due to track grades . in turn ...up grading to a di fferent controller i.e more advanced . ...i am not ready to go the distance yet .   there is nothing wrong withthe locos ........at this time i finally got my 4-8-4 santa fe making full runs arounds around my layout pulling 4 overland passengers what a blessing .i had to make some track changes .where i had some #5 turnouts and standard 18 turnouts .and fasten some areas where i had some twist in some pcs of track. but you know it is so great im running 5 trains now and what a blast ...   

Joe Satnik

Excellent !

Pictures?

Thanks.

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.