News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA light Mountain

Started by SteamGene, May 31, 2007, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Anybody have a clue as to why Bachmann discontinued the USRA light Mountain?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Gene;
If I coulds hazard a guess, it would be that there are two other predominant sources for mountain type locomotives, and out of thqt two are heavy.  I didn't include BLI in my assessment, even though it would have been legit.

To me, there was a market saturation, albiet heavy mountains, as well as Santa Fe types.  I know myself, I would buy heavy mountains and Santa Fes if the opportunity is there to do so before a light mountain.  I do not know of too many roads outside of New Haven that used a light mountain, but that is my knowledge-subject to correction.
But market conditions probably warranted the discontuation of that product.  I bet you can find them at "Trainworld".

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

I'm not positive,  but I think more roads had the USRA light than the USRA heavy Mountain.  Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Nigel

It is not discontinued per se......it just that the production batches sold out before the next batch.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

r.cprmier

Yep;
The New Haven had light mountains (R-1s) with southern valve gear on their roster.  They were used both along the shoreline for both freight and passenger; as well as on the Maybrook line for freight, along with their heavier brethren.
R-1s found their way into Dover St. facilities, too.  They were a great looking engine, but the heavier R-3s were my favourite.  If I am not mistaken, the B&M also rostered mountains, but  Idon't know if they were light or heavy.

Interestingly; L-1 Santa Fe types were the predominant engine on the Maybrook line, until the first FA-1s came on the property; and almost overnight, the flashy orange and hunter green colours of the New Haven Alco growlers took over almost every freight run between Cedar Hill, and Campbell Hall, New York.  Sad ending for a noble steed!

Rich
Rich

rogertra

I hope they re-release the light mountain, it's a most useful loco.  I could do with another two or three.

SteamGene

Hey, Roger - you still have those flying pumps?  Would you like to swap smokebox fronts?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
Go through Bowser in the Cal-Scale section of their inventory, and look for the smokebox mounts.  Trust me; brass is better.
Rich
Rich

SteamGene

Rich,
I may go that route, but if Roger hasn't done anything yet, we can swap smokebox fronts so he gets a USRA front and I get a C&O one.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rogertra

Gene.

You haven't got that smokebox front yet?

I mailed it weeks ago.

SteamGene

Sure haven't, Roger. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat