When will E-Z Mate® Couplers be included

on N scale Locos and Rolling Stock?

The time has come

Get Rid of Rapido!

JohnnyJT      8)
South Philly

the Bach-man

Dear Johnny,
Our equipment now comes with dummy knuckle couplers. The operating type are still patent-protected.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

dtpowell

Dear Bachmann,

I understand the automatic couplers are protected. I also somewhat begrudgingly understand Bachmann's reason in not including them until the patent runs out. Still other N scale manufactures readily include them on their models.

Bachmann makes many very nice locos in N scale. Currently I will purchase only the Spectrum steam locos. Why? Good steam is rare in N, and Bachmann has been producing some of the best .With the exception of, in my opinion, the lousy dummy coupler. I have had difficulty keeping them coupled to other Bachmann dummy couplers on a transition car! I would happily buy many other Bachmann N scale models if equipped with compatible automatics. Or maybe, produce their models  so they can be more easily converted.  It seems to me Bachmann is losing sales by not.

Will_Annand

I agree, when you add the expense of new couplers and the hassle of converting, several other brand names seem more appealing to purchase.

The only thing I have bought from Bachmann have been the steam engines.

However, I now have 2 out of my 4 Standard 4-4-0 units to return.
The only good one I have is my Spectrum 2-8-0, it is by far the best unit I have.

Olesmokey

Hi, I am new at this hobby but something was missed on the above posts...When will the patents be gone?? Are we talking years??I would like the different ones than what is on mine right now Uncoupling is a PITA and the Jointing can cause cars to jump track ???
SMARRCo. Short line

dtpowell

A utility patent for the way an invention works, I believe is for 20 years.

The Bachmann Knuckle couple at least can couple with an automatic as long as it isn't warped. One good point is the draft gear box. It seems to be interchangeable. A very good thing. I had a warped coupler on a Heavy mountain and was able to "POP" off the knuckle couple from a Bachmann talgo truck and "POP" it in place on the tender. An easy fix indeed. Still, it isn't automatic. A major disadvantage for me at least.

jwoj69

I AGREE KNUCKLE COUPLERS NOT ONLY LOOK SO MUCH BETTER, THEY USUALLY WORK BETTER TOO. HAVING RAPIDO AND ACCUMATES CREATES NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. SOME PREMIUM MANUFACTURERS INCLUDE BOTH (KATO ATLAS), BUT NOW EVEN LIFELIKE (OR SHOULD I START SAYING WALTHERS) IS DOING IT TOO.
I HAVE VERY STORE STORE AND THEY WERE ABLE TO FIND PAIR OF ACCUMATES PERFECT FOR 4-8-2 SPECTRUM. BYING KADDEES SEPARETLY IS BECOMIC EXPENSIVE, PAIR USUALLY GOES FOR ABOUT 5 BUGS.
ANYWAY SOMEONE SHOULD START CREATING ONE STANDARD FOR SAKE OF US ALL. AND BACHMANN SHOULD JOIN (EVERYBODY RITE NOW)  ACCUMATE AKA KADEE WORLD. IF WALTHERS CAN AFFORD SO ABCHMANN.