News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Dcc wont program

Started by sagemoregils, March 17, 2009, 08:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagemoregils

>:( Just got given Bachmann Dcc system by relative ( I think bought on EBay). On a test loop all the functions work but I cant get it to program I have tried it on 2 rail trucks and 2 forneys ON30. the unit shows it is in the program mode but when you change number and then exit the unit is still programed #3 not any other number.

Yampa Bob

Hi Sage,
Can you please advise us of the brand and model number of your DCC controller?

Thanks
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

sagemoregils

The controller is a Bachmann E-Z Command basic set-up

Yampa Bob

The instruction manual has a slight error at the top of page 3. Do not try to push the address button and the stop button at the same time.

Try this instead. Place only one loco on the tracks, run it a bit to make sure it does have an address of #3.

Push and hold button # 3

Push and release the stop button, then release number three. The light under the stop button will flash rapidly indicating you are in program mode.

Push and release a new address number, say #1.  The loco will move slightly indicating it has accepted the new address, and the light under the stop button will now flash slowly.

Push and release the stop button to exit program mode, now the loco should run on address #1.  If you later wish to change the loco to another address, then you would substitute #1 in the above instructions.

Remove the loco from the tracks, and replace with another one you wish to program.  Not all decoders have "service mode decoder lock", so changing address of one loco might also change the address of other locos on the live track. Been there done that.  :D

If you received a DVD with your controller, suggest watching it.  The DVD shows the correct procedure / sequence.

Please let us know if this works or not.

WGL

Bob, I should have known you'd be ahead of me.  While I was in the basement getting my notes, you told it as it is.

Yampa Bob

Well, I waited for 2 hours before replying (took a nap actually)  :D

I know you are a movie fan. I'm watching one now called "Navajo Joe" with Burt Reynolds.  Great train scenes.  We have Starz Western channel, all the best movies are on in the wee hours, that's another reason I stay up so late.  8)

sagemoregils

Great I will try it tomorrow when I get a chance.
Will let you know. Thanks Scott

Yampa Bob

Scott,
Something else I might mention. Before placing a locomotive on the tracks, you should first unplug the power supply transformer from the wall socket.  For convenience, I have a switch controlled power strip attached to the side of the layout, and plug the transformer into the strip.

If you place a DCC locomotive on a live track, you might temporarily create a short. This can make the decoder lose its address.  Just be sure all the wheels are properly on the tracks before plugging the power supply back in.

Even if you didn't create a short, any brief "make and break" electrical contact as you try to position the drivers can cause the same results. 

If you ever do have a decoder lose its address, then follow the instructions at the bottom of page 3 in the manual.

You will enjoy your EZ Command controller. That's what I use, very simple to operate. 

Please keep us posted on your progress.

sagemoregils

Yampa Bob, Life saver, hero of the shop foreman works great. First thing I did was run 2 rail truck into each other, the foreman said no more joy rides.
Have now set my setup with a power strip, will use.
Thanks for the quick response and info hope I can pass it on some time.
Scott G

Yampa Bob

Who was that masked man?  :D

I once had a major rear-ender trying to run 2 trains on my single loop. It was spectacular, cars jack-knifed all over. At times like that, I usually take a deep breath and say "Now, this is fun".

Yep, passing along what we learn is what makes this forum so great.

Have fun.  8)