News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

multimeter

Started by pdlethbridge, March 15, 2009, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

I just ordered a multimeter from widget supply. Now I need lessons on how to use it.  HELP

Yampa Bob

How about 746,000 tutorials.  :D

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=using+a+multimeter

BTW, thanks for the link you sent.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

your welcome.  I'm so confused.  If I'm doing nothing but 12 volts or less do I set it and forget it or do I have to change things depending on what I'm doing?
For instance, If I'm checking a wire from the loco to the tender, which gets the black lead? If I'm checking drivers to make sure they are insulated on the same side, ( bowser kit ) how is it done? Do settings get changed?

Cascade Northern

If you are checking voltage, it should not matter which lead you use.  The only difference will be that your readout will show the voltage as a negative.  If you see that, either switch your leads or just ignore the negative.

Yampa Bob

You will use the ohmmeter range a lot to check continuity. The symbol looks kinda like a horseshoe.  Turn off and disconnect all power when using an ohmmeter.

Note that for an open circuit, the digit 1 is displayed. This is to distinguish from 0 which is a dead short.  Practice with some resistors, measure the cold resistance of a 100 watt light bulb, hold a probe tip in each hand and measure your body's resistance. 

pdlethbridge

Thanks, like linux, it needs a lot of hands on experience.

Yampa Bob

Yep, just takes some practice. If you have any questions along the way feel free to ask.

pdlethbridge

Ya, free to ask, until you send the bill ;D

Yampa Bob

They say "advice is cheap", in my case it's free, so quit complaining. Of course if I have to fly to NY to give private lessons, it's gonna cost ya.  :D

Are you having corned beef and cabbage today?  If so, you need to read my recipe for guaranteed "no-gas" Irish-American cuisine.  Don't forget the parade.

pdlethbridge

I'm English . none of that Corn beef garbage for me. :D

Jhanecker2

I'm  Southern German and I like Corned Beef which is not originally Irish but was substituted for country style Bacon from Ireland which was not available in America during the 19th century.   The corned beef was available in New York  from  Yiddish Cuisine which  was based  on Central European cooking .   We also make a dish similar to a New England Boiled dinner. I usually  stock up on corned beef for the rest of the year.

boomertom

Quote from: pdlethbridge on March 17, 2009, 08:28:29 AM
I'm English . none of that Corn beef garbage for me. :D

I'm Scots-Irish, much prefer corn beef and cabbage to haggis.

TOM
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

pdlethbridge

the multimeter is finally here. HELP!

NelsOn-30

See the new thread I started as a tutorial.
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

Jhanecker2

Yampa Bob's listing of the 746K tutorials was the answer to the original question, sorry about going of on the gustatorial siding .  Learned how to use multimeters shortly  after using  measuring tools such as calipers ,micrometers , etc.   .