News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Santa Fe Northern

Started by FECfan, March 21, 2009, 07:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FECfan

Does anybody know if the Santa Fe Northern will fit on a 90 foot turntable?

HO-Ron

Just!! I believe the length of the Northern is 88 or 89 feet. It might also depend on whether the tender is "close coupled" or not. That is that it uses the nearest hookup or the one nearer the engine. That would be about a 1 or 1 1/2 ft diffence.

Rgs, HO-Ron
Regards, Ron

RAM

The wheel base of bachmann's santa fe 4-8-4 is 108 feet 2 inches.  The 3751 class 4-8-4 has a wheel base of 92 feet.  So the answer is no.

FECfan

Thanks, do any of the Northerns that bachmann make will fit on it?

HO-Ron

Ram,
I can't argue with your measurements as I don't have a Northern to do the measurement on.
The ones I reported in my message were actually made on the Mountain with a small fudge factor. Just assuming the trailing truck and fire box did not get out of hand. If your measurements are correct, that is one big and long engine.

I can say though, that my Brass 2-6-6-2 Mallet and my Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Articulated measure 96 feet and 92 feet respectively.

My 2-8-8-2 Y6 (Heritage) measures 105 feet. These are all measured from the pilot wheel to the tender wheel.
I use a scale rule on the track to make these determinations. Reason being I have a 110 foot turntable. So I need to know what engines I can turn and which ones I can't. Believe me when I say that my Big Boy will not fit.
I am just putting this in here to try and help FECfan and answer his last question.. which I really can't.. see above.
Maybe there is still hope for him. I don't know for sure. I know that the tender length is a big factor. :P

Best Regards, HO-Ron
Regards, Ron