The Lye, Stihl and Djheet Rwy. (Layout updates)

Started by WoundedBear, March 17, 2009, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Construction has begun!!! I finally picked up a few sticks at the local lumber yard, and got a good start on the L-girder benchwork.

The benchwork may look a litlle light, but trust me....you could park a Volkswagon on it and it would hold up. All joints are glued and screwed, with leveling feet under each leg.

Next trip I bring home some plywood. ;D

Here's a couple of pics.....click on the direct links to view full size.

http://members.shaw.ca/wbearart1/Models/Benchwork005.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/wbearart1/Models/Benchwork006.jpg

Cheers

Sid

pdlethbridge

Lookin good in the neighborhood! ;D

OkieRick

My high school gym wasn't as big as that room!  Looks good.  Keep us in pictures.

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

WoundedBear

I have a few more updated pictures to share.

The ashpit cutout is ready.

Managed to get the backdrops installed along one of the 22 foot walls and one 12 foot end wall. I used Walthers' Instant Horizons. While not photo-realistic, they do add a nice appearance to the layout. Although, you can see the differences in the colors over the various printing runs.

The sawmill loop is laid as is most of the yard and service trackage.

Also got a start on the main peninsula. Just laying track out to see what fits where the best.

Now that I have begun construction, there is a pinch point that had to be addressed. The main line will need to loop back on itself instead of continuing onto the drop leaf. No big problem......just need to fudge things around somewhat.

That's all for now....more soon.

Frisco

Looking good! Your a fast worker ;)
What type of track are you using?

FECfan

WoundedBear

Yes, it is all Atlas sectional/flextrack in code 100. There are a few Peco turnouts in the mix, but 99% of it is Atlas.

A new tool to my kit is RibbonRail's track alignment gauges. They come in straight and various radii and greatly help with the alignment of sectional track.

Sid

FECfan

I Knew it!  Mostly I use E-Z track, for now, but all of my turntable sidings are Atlas, I should know.

WoundedBear

Another few weeks have passed, and some further progress has been made. I got the second large area designed and track is laid and roadbed cutout and mounted on risers.

Slowly but surely, is the game plan......I learned from the last layout that rushing the benchwork is a bad idea.....lol.

Sid

Jhanecker2

Nice work , that "L" girder construction is very strong and  " 2x2 " legs are strong enough for most reasonable loads .   If I ever get started on a layout I am planning to use E-Z track for the main line but Atlas Code 100 for most everything else except for the power-lok track I have just to use it up. John II.

CG04

Sid,

I have missed something somewhere along the line here.  Why did you cut out around the tracks on the last photo?  Is it elevated or something?

Clif

WoundedBear

Clif....

Doing the subroadbed in that cookie cutter style makes it easier to build scenery below track level. It also makes things a bit easier when it comes time for trestles or bridges.

Sid

WoundedBear

Time for some new pics.

The main portion of track has been laid. There is now a complete loop in place and has been tested on straight DC. Now comes the fun part :-\ ...installing permanent wiring.

I have started soldering feeders and rail joints. The layout will get divided into at least 4 blocks. I made up a quick little switch panel with switched from the local discount hardware store. The SPST switches will be connected to one rail with the other being common throughout. The DPDT switch is for control of the programming track....one direction for "run" and the opposite for "program".

I will be using 14 gauge stranded wire for the busses and 18 gauge feeders. I think drawing some diagrams for future reference will be a good idea.....and best to do it now rather than trying to trace it all out, once installed.

Sid

jonathan

Aha,

I get it now!  Very, very nice work.  Oh, to have all that space...

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Sid, awesome layout...I'd kill for that room and lighting. I love your trackwork. Your shining achievement is your magnificent benchwork...what an artist (too bad it will eventually be covered by scenery). My first impression of the early track plan was another spaghetti bowl design...I can clearly see how wrong I was.

Regarding the Atlas turntable
: you don't need to do anything special to use the turntable with DCC (I got this information directly from the Atlas technical department). The turntable will reverse the polarity automatically. I have (actually had) that unit, with DCC, and it worked flawlessly.

A suggestion on your track feeds: to make them less noticeable, solder the lead closest to the layout edge on the inside of the rail and the other feed on the outside of the rail. This will place both feeds on the opposite side of the rail from an observer. I use #22 AWG solid core wire until it just comes out from beneath the plywood (or whatever) rail base. Using Scotch 'suitcase' connectors, I connect it to #16 AWG wire which then runs to the buses (#12 AWG). Another bit of advice is NOT to rely on rail joiners for electrical conductivity...better to solder a feed to each section of track. Yes, overkill - but you'll be running trains while others are troubleshooting their wiring. Oh, don't worry about soldering on the inside of the rail. Just tin both the rail and the wire and with minimal heat and very little solder the wire will attach and not interfere with passing wheels.

Again, you have already done an excellent job.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"