Drop In Sound Decoder with Speaker for Bachmann DCC On Board GS4 4-8-4

Started by Chuck S, March 18, 2009, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck S

Quote from: Tim on March 20, 2009, 07:02:29 AM
Chuck

The Pro-Cab that came with your Power Pro system can read and write
CV's directly.  Page 57 in your manual shows how on the programming
track.  CV's can also be programmed on the main (Ops mode).

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Hi Tim,

I was sure I read that in the manual somewhere.  Thank you for indicating the page and clearing up my confusion.  Like was stated earlier, I guess I need to find a programming track booster to program the TSU-1000.  Anyone have experience in this area?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck S.

Tim

Chuck

I had been using the DCC Specialties PowerPax booster,until
recently, I installed some Soundtraxx micro Tsunami's (TSU-750).

I found that I couldn't read the CV's, I could write but not read.

I switched to the Soundtraxx PTB-100 booster.  OK now.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Chuck S

All,

Well, I went with the Soundtraxx Tsunami TSU-1000.  I added a pre-wired harness and plugged into the TSU-1000.  Next, I soldered a speaker to the TSU-1000.  The system works fine and sounds great.  Just need more time to play around with the individual sounds to fine tune them. 

Thanks to all for your sound advice, lol.

Chuck S.

trainmaster971

Hi Chuck S.

I have tried the MRC steam sound unit in my new DCC ready Bachmann GS-4 and it does sound OK.  Not as good as the sound in my BLI Paragon QSI or Blueline locos.  My main problem with them was that they draw so much current that they were not suitable for long trains or grades.  They may be fine for a flat world.

OkieRick

Chuck,

That's the same combination I went with - TSU-1000 and my Bachmann Loco.  I added sound to a 2-10-2 Light Steam.  The sound is fair - I put a 1" diameter speaker in and will try a larger oval speaker when I order parts.  It doesn't come across as loud as my DCC With Sound Proto 2000 Series or Broadway Limited Steam locos but I haven't 'fiddled' with the different CV sound adjustments.  I would like a little more volume out of the Bachmann.

This was my first upgrade but not my last for sure.  I need to spend some money on track and layout - not locos.

Okie

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Tim

Okie

The "Tsunami" decoders are not set at full volume as delivered.
You can increase the master volume.

Make sure your speaker is properly enclosed, it makes a big difference.

Also I would suggest replacing the speaker with a Megabass speaker
if you have room.  They are much taller than the standard speakers.

I find that I have to turn the master volume down, but my room is only
10 X 13 ft.  Even with the volume turned down it gets kinda noisy in there.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Chuck S

Quote from: OkieRick on March 23, 2009, 11:34:04 PM

Chuck,

That's the same combination I went with - TSU-1000 and my Bachmann Loco.  I added sound to a 2-10-2 Light Steam.  The sound is fair - I put a 1" diameter speaker in and will try a larger oval speaker when I order parts.  It doesn't come across as loud as my DCC With Sound Proto 2000 Series or Broadway Limited Steam locos but I haven't 'fiddled' with the different CV sound adjustments.  I would like a little more volume out of the Bachmann.

This was my first upgrade but not my last for sure.  I need to spend some money on track and layout - not locos.

Okie

Hi Okie,

My sound is not what I thought it would be either.  I have an Athearn F7 AB unit with sound and it is LOUD.  I did try to adjust the cv's for volume, but I could not audibly hear much difference.  I did notice the steam release was louder.  I could be missing something, but I adjusted all cv's for volume as listed by the manufacturer to no avail.  The sound is decent, but when the loco is at 1/3 speed or faster, the engine noise overrides any sounds.  I'm still in the process of trying different cv's to find the problem.  I have downloaded and printed the users manual for the TSU-1000 so I can reference while I operate the loco.  Sounds good, just not loud enough, yet!  By the way, I have a PB106 for the speaker (it was recommended by Dave502 at Caboose Hobbies in Denver).

I'll try to update any positive results to this thread.

Chuck S

Yampa Bob

I always consider the sound level compared to the scale. I'm guessing if your HO loco is emitting 80 db, that might equate to 130 db or more standing beside a full scale locomotive.

Typical home music listening levels are 80 - 85 db, a rock concert is close to 150 db.  Before you turn your loco into a "Sound Blaster" I suggest using a sound level meter to determine the current level.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/3,19.html

What we are lacking is not sufficient volume, but rather sufficient sound quality. In other words, we can't "feel" the sound as we would if we could install 4" bass enhanced speakers.

I had to muffle the sound on my AC4400 due to complaints from my wife watching TV in the adjoining room. I didn't drill any holes and used the entire shell for sound.

Of course Gene probably likes his sound at 160 db.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Chuck S

Well said, Bob!

This is my first venture into sound, and I am probably basing the volumes by what the Athearn F7 AB sounds like right out of the box.  Thanks for the tip about using a db meter to "scale" the volume. 

160 db?  Wow, lol :D

Chuck S

grumpy

Athern supplies a wand with some of their products with which to wave over the loco to change the sound volume .
Don

OkieRick

Proto 2000 with QSI have the same magic wand.  If you lose it any small magnet will do.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

When my sound diesel passes directly in front of me, it is quite loud. When on the far side of the loop, it sounds like the loco is far away down in the valley.  It really adds a dimension or illusion of distance to my small layout.

SteamGene

Actually, I like the sound fairly low.  Most of my loss is in high frequency, so I can hear steam sounds quite well.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jhanecker2

Good Morning All !   I was reading the discusion Last night and remembered that I had a Sound Level Meter from my  stereo-hifi hobby .  I went on line to Radio Shack to see if they were still available .  Currently they have a digital meter  Item # 33-2055 for $49.99 and a seven range Analog Meter  item # 33-4050 for $45.99 . I used my meter to equalize the speakers for my  4 channel  audio system . Someday it will rise again.
John  II.

Yampa Bob

I've been a professional Square Dance Caller for 31 years, licensed by BMI/ASCAP. (semi-retired now, which means I no longer travel). I used a Radio Shack meter to set the speakers for various dance halls. For festivals we often used 6-8 speakers around the hall.

A bit off topic, but a memorable moment in my life. While calling in the Capitol Rotunda, during the proclamation of "Square Dance Day" by the Colorado Governor, an "administrative assistant" complained the sound was so loud no one could work, and if I didn't turn the volume down she would complain to the Governor.  Well, I said go ahead, he's right out there dancing with my wife.   :D