Drop In Sound Decoder with Speaker for Bachmann DCC On Board GS4 4-8-4

Started by Chuck S, March 18, 2009, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

Oh yeah.  One of those moments that come around all too seldom in a person's life.

One of those "Go ahead, take your best shot" moments.

Keep 'em coming folks - it all has to do with trains.

Okie Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

OkieRick

Chuck S and all who have DCC Diesels and want to easily add sound -

MRC has "drop in" sound decoders with a speaker enclosed in a baffle for $39.98 - find them at your local / favorite hobby shop.  They are on sale at Walthers for $29.98 but backordered - Due in May 06, 2009.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=8094

"The new Sounder is a sound-only decoder and speaker that's easily added to any HO locomotive equipped with a standard, non-sound decoder or any piece of rolling stock equipped with wheel pickups. Imagine how easier it would be to add sound to any train without the hassle of cramming a sound decoder and speaker in your locomotive. The Sounder adds all 28 NMRA accessory sound function capability to HO diesel locomotive, regardless of the make, or brand of decoder installed. The railroader simply hooks up two wires to the track power pickup points in the loco, and suddenly he can enjoy MRC's rich, Brillianceā„¢ sound including two types of EMD 2nd generation prime mover sounds, multiple horns & bells, brakes, air releases, pop valves, cooling fans, coupling sounds and more. And not just sound. Using simple soldering techniques, the Sounder can provide a full complement of locomotive lighting effects: Prime Stratolight; Mars; Ditch; Gyro; Strobe (single & double); and on/off function for internal lighting.

This 17mm marvel comes with a 28mm speaker and baffle to enhance the full & powerfully vibrant range, performance and functionality only available from MRC.

* Use with any HO diesel non-sound decoder from MRC or any other brand
* Full 28 NMRA function capability
* Use with any NMRA compatible DCC system to add sound "on the rails" or      "below the rails"
* Simple 2-wire hookup
* Superb Brilliance sound quality with multiple sounds and volume selectability
* Capable of providing six dynamic lighting effects
* 18V maximum input"

Luck in findng them - here's a list of hobby shops that have purchased them from Walthers.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/locate?part_no=500-1662

Visit your local hobby shop today!

Okie Rick
-

Chuck S

Thanks, Okie Rick!!!

I'll have to at least try the MRC.  Doesn't seem too expensive of an option, and allows more choices when considering to purchase dcc ready, dcc equipped, or dcc with sound.  I know some locos I want do not come in equipped mode and this could be a deciding factor. 

Thanks again,

Chuck S

Chuck S

Al,

OK, here is what I did.  I used the Soundtraxx Tsunami TSU-1000 Heavy Steam sound decoder, an 8-pin JST harness, a PB106 speaker, and a plastic cap for the baffle.  I was lacking the baffle before and having one installed makes a world of difference.  The salesman at the LHS must of assumed I could mount the face of the speaker to the perforated underside of the Bachmann tender, but not so. 

I ended up having to trim some of the plastic to allow for the ears on the speaker, then used RTV to attach mount the speaker to the cap.  I let it set for 24 hours.  I then used velcro to attach the cap to the underside of the tender.  The TSU-1000 has quite a nice array of various sounds and effects (even CV's for EQ, lol). 

Now I have a great sounding loco.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Chuck S
Pueblo, Colorado

Chuck S

Here is another update!

Just acquired another Bachmann GS4 Northern Southern Pacific 4-8-4 Loco, Post War (black) #4459.  I was so impressed with my original sound installation I decided to do it again ;D

Below is the MFG info and Caboose Hobbies (Denver, CO) SKU #'s.  You will have to find or make your own baffle. 

PS: Free US Shipping orders over $66.00 until 4/30/09

1 x DECODER;TSU1000;HEAVY STEAM
1amp motor stall + 4 - 100mA light outputs = $95.20
Manufacturer: SoundTraxx
Caboose Hobbies SKU# 1636826103

1 x WIRE HARNESS;SH;JST/NMRA 1-1/4
1-1/4 INCH
JST TO 8-PIN NMRA = $5.99
Manufacturer: Train Control Systems, TCS
Caboose Hobbies SKU# 11711042

1 x SPEAKER;ROUND;HB106R;HIGH-BASS
1.06 DIAMETER x 0.56 HIGH = $7.95
Manufacturer: American Hobby Dist
Caboose Hobbies SKU# 1194318

Hope This Helps!

Chuck S
Pueblo, Colorado

OkieRick

Chuck-

Congratulations on your noisy Steam Loco.  I only put a 1" dia. round in my Light Steam 2-10-2, it needs the oval with more bass.  I'll do that next time I order.  The problem I have now is I wan't to pick up every innexpensive loco I see and add DCC and sound then I remember it costs $100+ to do so.

I need to get serious on my newest layout & get it finished.  It's hard for me to get computer time, train time and grab some assistance from a family member to do something in getting this 4x8 finished so I can start on a 4x4 that will attach / detach to it.

Have a ball,
Rick