News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gear Grease and sound on a 2-8-0

Started by redsrail, March 15, 2009, 05:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsrail

I bought a jar of Bachman EZ lube gear grease, it is very thin, I stir it before use and it still looks very thin. Is this what you use on your engine gear trains?
I need to know what I need and how you install sound on a 2-8-0 G scale consolidation outside frame? The instructions says it is equipped with a plug for sound.

Jon D. Miller

I've been using EZ Lube since Bachmann first made it available. Prior to that I used lubricants from Aero-Car.  It appears that the Bachmann lubricants are supplied by Aero-Car.

Have yet to experience any gear or drive train problems as a result of lubrication.  I also use EZ Lube lubricating oil on shafts and motor bearings.

If you think the EZ Lube grease is too light then try Super Lube manufactured/distributed by SYNCO of Bohemia, NY.  In fact, any plastic compatable lubricant will work without causing damage to plastic parts.

For sound, there is a plug between the engine and tender.  Inside the tender that plug is not connected to anything.  It is a terminal point for an after-market sound system such as Phoenix or any of the other sound systems offered for large scale trains.  Sound system manufacturers will supply the information required to install their system.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

redsrail

Thanks Jon, My jar of EZ Lube  gear grease just does not look right to me it is very light and seperates if it sits very long and I have to stir it to blend it back together and then it is still very thin like water and will not stay on the gears. When I open a factory gear box for service there is grease still hanging to the sides of the gears and on to the sides of the gear box. My question, does you EZ Lube gear grease look like mine. or is mine defective?
Do you have a preference  on the sound board I should use? 

Old John

I bought the Bachmann Gear Grease some time ago, and mine when opened (at room temperature) was a pink liquid slightly heavier than water, I didn't want to risk it on gears so I use it as a heavy gear oil an axles, side rods and the like.  I don't know if I got a bad batch or not, however I found a substitute from a pool supply store called "Lube Tube" non toxic, compatible with plastic and forms a seal around axles inside the gear box so it's great for outdoor use here in Florida. 

Jon D. Miller

reds32238

The EZ Lub that I have looks just like your description. The Aero-Car has what appears to be the same viscosity.  I've found that the EZ Lub clings to the gear teeth with a thin film and does not sling like some other gear lubricants.

Grease hanging on the side of a gear or gear case is not providing lubrication. The lubricant must be on the gear teeth faces.

If you are not satisfied with the EZ Lube then try a lube that is more in keeping in what you expect a gear lubricant to look like.

Another good product would be lubricants made by LaBella.  They are a long time supplier of lubricants to the hobby industry.

For sound my choice is Phoenix. I've used their system since 1995 with no problems.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Deanbierly

I had the same experience.  My hobby shop suggested that I use Hob-E-Lube MOLLY GREASE with molybedenum from Woodland Scenics.

It works great on my 3 truck Shay!

Deano