News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC-Ready

Started by alexusfamily, March 19, 2009, 11:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexusfamily

Can i turn a non-DCC locomotive into a DCC-Ready?

pdlethbridge

Yes, some are very easy, while others can spoil your day. It really depends on what engine you want to convert.

Hunt

You may have a misconception regarding DCC Ready.

DCC Ready means the motor brushes are isolated from the power pickups and there is some means to accept the installation of a decoder... a socket, solder pads, wires or something else.

The easiest way to isolate the motor bushes is to isolate the motor.

A DCC controlled locomotive or accessory, like a turnout, requires a DCC decoder.

Yampa Bob

Hi "Alexusfamily",

Are you thinking in general terms, or do you have a particular locomotive in mind? If the latter, knowing the model / type, including a part number if you have it, would help us to advise the feasibility of upgrading it to DCC.

I only have one older DC loco, I did make it DCC ready by isolating the motor and running wires from the loco pickups, lights and motor to the tender, but haven't decided on type of decoder yet.  I had an old light board with diodes I spliced in just to have directional lighting. Guess one could call it "almost DCC ready".

As Paul mentioned, some locos are very simple to upgrade, some will eat your lunch.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.