E-Z Command and Remote Turnouts

Started by DJG, March 20, 2009, 10:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJG

My son and I are building our first model railroad and having a great time. We have laid the track and hope to have our train running this weekend. We've purchased the E-Z Command #44902 to power our locomotives. We're using Atlas N code 80 track and have (5) remote turnouts. Can the E-Z Command be used to power the turnouts or do I need a separate power supply? If E-Z can be used, what is the basic setup? If it can't be used, does Bachmann have a solution?

BestSnowman

I don't believe it will power non DCC turnouts (eg the ones that come with the little switches). I do believe it will power the turnouts that have DCC decoders in them however.

I'm still on DC (hopefully getting a DCC kit tonight) but I found an older bachmann DC controller with some misc. track on ebay and am using that to power my turnouts.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Rangerover

Quote from: DJG on March 20, 2009, 10:14:35 AM
My son and I are building our first model railroad and having a great time. We have laid the track and hope to have our train running this weekend. We've purchased the E-Z Command #44902 to power our locomotives. We're using Atlas N code 80 track and have (5) remote turnouts. Can the E-Z Command be used to power the turnouts or do I need a separate power supply? If E-Z can be used, what is the basic setup? If it can't be used, does Bachmann have a solution?

The Bachmann DCC Turnouts are assigned an address and controlled under the F9 key on your EZ Command Controller, any number of turnouts can be controlled this way.

I stand corrected.... I see you are in N scale and I don't know if Bachmann makes DCC controlled turnouts in N scale. However all is not lost, I don't think. You could buy cheap decoder's and install them on your turnouts, that's really all the DCC HO scale turnouts have. And still use F9 on your controller to make them work.

RickWillison

I decided against using my DCC controller for my turnouts and crossovers as I will not be able to controll my locos and switches at the same time unless I use 2 controllers one for locos one for accys.
I purchased a seperate 16vac power supply to run my control panel
Here is a link to a pic of my controll panel
I used SPST (on)-off-(on) momentary switches
I am adding lights to show which direction the track is in soon

http://www.willnet.mine.nu:8083/images/misc/100_2118.jpg

Yampa Bob

Rick,
I'm impressed with your control panel. I have EZ Command, and  2 large yards with remote turnouts. I would be very interested in your final wiring diagram and details  for the lights. I have some thoughts, but like to see other ideas.

Thanks for sharing.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

Rick,
Are you using EZ track and EZ turnouts?  I'm not using either right now (and won't on my own setup in progress). I have my EZ Command set up on my great nephew's small oval inside a larger oval with two turnouts.  Are your switches push button or flip type?  I'm using mix-n-match NS 80 and have lots of non DCC turnouts.  Your switch panel looks like something that would work for me alot easier that using the EZ Command or my Dynamis Wireless Control system. 

I'm operating my trains with a mouthstick - a "one point and work" solution to being paralyzed from the armpit area down.  If you can imagine using only one finger to poke, flip and turn things with you can easily see where I'm coming from.

The close proximity of all your switches looks very handy.

Quote from: RickWillison on March 22, 2009, 04:00:08 PM
I decided against using my DCC controller for my turnouts and crossovers as I will not be able to controll my locos and switches at the same time unless I use 2 controllers one for locos one for accys.
I purchased a seperate 16vac power supply to run my control panel
Here is a link to a pic of my controll panel
I used SPST (on)-off-(on) momentary switches
I am adding lights to show which direction the track is in soon

http://www.willnet.mine.nu:8083/images/misc/100_2118.jpg

Thanks-
Okie Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

jcniser

I have just bought some non DCC turnouts as part of a track expansion pack, it had no instructions. I am expanding a DCC track but discovered that my DCC controller could not power the turnouts. Have I burned them out by connecting them to the DCC track because it is ac power and if not what power source should I use

Doneldon

DJG-

You can use your EZ Command for Bachmann DCC turnouts; however, you can do just as well with standard remote turnouts for significantly less money. The wiring is a little more complicated but not impossibly so. Consider using a capacitive discharge unit if you plan to operate several switches at a time. And as Hunt advised, DO NOT hold the turnout controller down. You will destroy your solenoids in short order.
                                                                                                                                                      -- D