News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dinner in the Diner

Started by boomertom, March 20, 2009, 10:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I took a train from St. Louis to Colorado Springs with a friend of my Aunt's to go see my Aunt and Uncle (who was in the Army stationed there) back in 1954. I was 4 years old and the only thing I remember about the food was a ham sandwich in the dining car.
In the Marine Corps ('68-'74), all we had were C Rats. When I reenlisted in the Marine Reserves in '83 we had some old C Rats at first, then came the MRE's.

Feel like a Mogul.

Woody Elmore

As a kid of six I enjoyed the scrambled eggs and bacon served on the PRR dining cars. To this day I have no idea how they got the eggs so yellow.

daveb

During May/June last year I travelled on the ViaRail Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver and on the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth. Both were 3 day trips and gave a much better feeling for the respective countries than flying. The Dining Car experience in both cases was excellent with local cuisine being served in 5 star hotel like conditions. Train is still certainly the way to travel instead of air, but its downside is the cost and certainly in the case of my previous travels on Amtrak in the US their almost total lack of ability to run according to the advertised schedule on long distance.

Dave

smcgill

The Sunday Brunch on the Cape Cod railroad wasn't all that bad!