adding sound to bachmann dcc decoders

Started by trainman.1, March 21, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman.1

Is there a certain sound decoder that will install in the Bachman dcc equipped locomotives

Yampa Bob

Hi Trainman,
That's a loaded question. Since you included the word "certain", I would have to say "No".  Big help huh?

Each locomotive has to be considered separately, based mostly on amount of available room for the decoder and speaker.

Steam locomotive tenders usually have some extra room, therefore there are more options available. Many diesel locomotives have limited options due to lack of space. However, Soundtraxx, and perhaps other manufacturers, are addressing this issue by introducing sound boards, that will replace the DCC boards within the same space. The remaining issues are finding room for the speaker and replacing the lights.

I suggest you start by reviewing available sound decoders at Soundtraxx. Physical size of their decoders and speakers are listed so you can do some measuring and make preliminary assessments.

Meanwhile, if you can advise us of specific locomotives you have in mind for sound installs, we will be better able to advise you.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

Others may have additional comments.
Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

trainman.1

OK to give us a point to dig in and start lets say a one of the 70ton switchers that comes with dcc installed. Not the Spectrum but the blue and white box . the ones that retail around 70.00.
Lets do a little background. I work at a hobby shop where trains are our basic line. N Scale through G scale.
We have a layout donated by the local model railroad club we have it set  to run dc or dcc.
so I am trying to get a feel for doing upgrades to entry level dcc because not every one can go out and drop 300.00 on a diesel with dcc and sound  RTR .
So basically I am looking to see if some of the entry level can be upgraded 

Thanks
Trainman.1

Yampa Bob

I have several of the GE 70 Ton switchers, not a good candidate for adding sound, but could be accomplished with a few modifications.

I recently installed a Soundtraxx Tsunami in an AC4400 diesel, here's the math.

DCC ready diesel locomotive....$72.00
Tsunami TSU-1000................$90.00
Speaker and enclosure...........$15.00

Total of $177 street price. Not bad for a sound locomotive. No holes to drill, I just placed the speaker up under the horn area, very simple install.

For your purposes, I would suggest using DCC ready models so you won't be paying for unneeded non sound decoders. If you don't mind I'll drop you an email with a list of suitable locomotives.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

trainman.1

Jim Banner

trainman1, have you given any thought to a few sound cars that can be coupled behind the locomotives?  These allow members to run sound along with their own DCC locomotive any time they run on the club layout.

As a bonus, such sound cars generally have better than average sound because they have greater internal volumes for speaker baffles and room for larger or multiple speakers.  For example, a 50' box car in H0 can house four 1" or 1-1/8" speakers.  Connected in series/parallel, they have the same impedance as a single speaker.  But their collective size is equivalent to a 2" or 2-1/4" speaker, a size unheard of in H0.  Perfect behind diesels for bringing out the best possible low frequency growls.

For steamers, consider a 'water plug' sound car, a tank car with a speaker in each end.  Use speakers with double the required impedance connected in parallel or with half the required impedance in series.  Alternately, use two pairs of in-line speakers to achieve an effective infinite volume baffle.

Fitting the cars with pickup wheels is no harder than doing the same to a tender.  And once they are set up this way, all that is required to run them is to set their addresses to match the locomotives and couple them on.  With some of these sound cars available, you will have members coming early to sign up for one.  And if you are the one that has to set up for a running session, it never hurts to have some extra help arrive early.     
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.