News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

locomotive problem?

Started by BillB, March 20, 2009, 09:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillB

I am a new model railroader.  i have an n scale 4-0-0 locomotive and tender.  All of a sudden I cannot get all the wheels of the locomotive on the track, even using the rerailer. Any suggestions?

Conrail Quality

The N-scale 4-4-0 has a reputation of being pretty finicky. However, it appears to me that your problem is that the wheels are not properly in gauge, a common problem. I'd recommend getting an NMRA (National Model Railroad Association) standards gauge (http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/nmra-98-8.htm). It will make sure all your equipment's wheel are correctly in gauge.

If the wheels do turn out to be in gauge after all, the problem is likely more bizarre and more unique to your particular locomotive.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

James in FL

QuoteThe N-scale 4-4-0 has a reputation of being pretty finicky.

I agree with Tim here on this one; however I'm going to go at it from another direction.

You say
QuoteAll of a sudden I cannot get all the wheels of the locomotive on the track, even using the rerailer.

From this, I am going to assume that at one point you could re-rail it properly and the loco would in fact move down the track. Now, that does not "seem" possible as when you rail the loco it does not move.
Correct me if I am wrong.

First things first.
I would caution against using a rerailer with ANY traction tire loco, steam or diesel, and here's why.
As you push/drag the loco down the rerailer and onto the tracks the traction tire turns on the stationary driver. This action breaks whatever little seal there may be and, in effect, loosens it from the driver. This action alone is enough to "throw the tire".
If it hasn't already fallen off from the sliding action down the rerailer, it will soon after, from sliding it onto the track.
Look to see that all the traction tires are still on the drivers. There should be one on each, for a total of 4.

Second,
The wheels on the tender do not use a conventional axle
There are 2 trucks under the tender. The forward and rear wheel of each truck is tied together via a contact strip/spring assembly.
The tender wheels float freely from the axle mounts.
As of yet, I have not had mine apart.
If it's possible to gauge the tender wheels at all, it will require surgery.

The driver wheels are isolated from the hubs via a press fit (metal on plastic).
They, and the pony truck wheels, can be gauged in the normal fashion by gentle prying.
Be careful if you decide to do this, so as you do not mess up the quartering of the drivers.

The motor is in the tender and picks power from its own axles. A drive shaft joins the loco and tender turning the geared drivers.

In summary, check to see that you have all 4 traction tires and that they are properly in place.
Then, check the drive shaft.
Cradle the loco and tender upside down and apply power to the tender wheels, one left, and one right.
Listen for the motor, and observe that the loco driver wheels are in fact turning.

Try this, see what you have or have not.

I will comment further after you report back.

P.S.  All this, assuming you meant to say 4-4-0.

BillB

Timothy and James,

Thank you for your replies, they are greatly appreciated.

My apologies for the nomenclature mistake.  I did not have my paper work in front of me when I made my initial inquiry.  My locomotive is indeed a 4-4-0 steam loco.

James you are correct the loco ran just fine for several weeks then suddenly I could not get it on the track correctly.  I followed your advice and initially it looked as if all four traction tires were in place, I do have power to the tender and the loco driver wheels are all turning.  Upon further inspection under a lighted magnifying lamp it looks like one rear traction tire is indeed missing.  I will replace the traction tire this week, I assume one missing is enough to cause my problem.

Once again thank you both. 

One last request can you guys recommend a book where I might find tips like this. Who would have thought not to use the re-railer since the track came with the kit I have been frustrated due to the lack of information I have been able to find on line or in the books I bought about technical locomotive operation.

Thanks once again.

James in FL

Bill,

Again first things first.
Welcome to the hobby.

Glad to hear your trouble shooting was effective in this case.
I kind of figured you had the loco railed properly, and it just wouldn't move.
My reply was based on my same experience with this loco. I too, lost a rear traction tire giving me the same symptoms.
Yes, one missing traction tire will cause this.

If you can find the missing tire, great.
If not, a call to Bachmann will get you back up and running.

Before you put the tire back on, clean the grove, on the driver, using isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip.
Some would advocate "dry brushing" paint on the driver immediately before putting the tire in place. This helps to form a seal to the driver.
I'm not sure if this is necessary when replacing the tire with a new one, but might be helpful if putting the old one back on.

Unfortunately, there are no books that extensively cover troubleshooting for every locomotive. Most of my knowledge, about the hobby, is derived from the school of hard knocks.

Check to see that the wheels of all your rolling stock spin as free as possible.

Again welcome to the hobby.