News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Frustration with HO couplers

Started by Neo Fender, March 22, 2009, 09:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Ray, I would have preferred to point out your 'slip of the lip' in a private email and let you edit your post accordingly.  But that is hard to do when your email address is hidden.  What I really wanted to avoid is Neo or one of the other 135 people who have read this thread from having a problem.

Upside down centering springs is the second most common problem I have run into when asked to fix a recalcitrant coupler.  (The first most common is a mounting screw overtightened enough to squash the box and jam the shank.)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Oh that's OK Jim...as a retired psychologist I should have the tools to take criticism...as well as give it. I just want to thank you for pointing out my error. Does this mean the Earth is not flat?? Once again, I have to agree with your two top coupler problems that have been my experience also...along with spacial orientation.

I will go back and edit my original post and really confuse future readers of this thread. Did you notice that you gave Yampa Bob some "grist" for his mill?  Bob, I think I will take a junker car and label the surfaces as a visual reference - so I don't get confused in the future. OK, I made my first mistake...now it is some else's turn (How am I ever going to live this one down?).

Thanks for the chuckle...I needed one today.

Reversible Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

trainmaster971

Mounting Kadee couplers in talgo wheel sets is not that difficult.  I have purchased a few cars with talgo wheel sets and if you carefully cut the center post off of the kadee bracket it will fit over the smaller pin that is normally on the talgo wheel set.  I use the whisper style Kadees for this as the spring for the #5s is difficult to hold in place.

Woody Elmore

Yampa is a "bottomless" pit of knowledge. His statement starting "the bottom is the bottom..." sounds like something Donald Rumsfeld would have said!

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.