What is the Recommended Height Clearance for tracks under Bridges?

Started by Robertj668, March 22, 2009, 03:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Hi
I am still working on my track layout in HO with Bachmann E-Z Track.  I am trying to plan on the future as much as possible.  I was going to use a clearance of 3 1/2 but I am concerned that it I ever want to get the Bombardier Commuter Cars or the double high Auto cars it might clear. I have been looking around for a while on line and searched in the message boards and could not find the answer.
Thanks for the help
Robert

Atlantic Central

Robert,

3" from the railhead is the NMRA standard and will be fine for all equipment.

Sheldon

Robertj668

Atlantic Central
Thanks. Where can you find NMRA standards?  I should learn to refernece it.
Robert

Tim

Robertj668

Atlantic Central
Thanks that is a great site. I have been out out of Model Railroading too long.  Everything is in the internet!
Robert

Atlantic Central

Robert, actually it was Tim who directed you to the NMRA site.

Sheldon

lmackattack

yes the NMRA guage is the way to go if you intend to run modern equipment. Personaly I like to model the bridges to the era that im in (1945-55) I have a tunnel and bridge that doublestacks containers will not fit under. But it looks right for my layout.  its your call

trent

hotrainlover

IM,
I also had several bridges that were NOT built for "Modern" equipment.  I has SO embarrassed, when friends arrived to run their equipment....

Since then I build my layouts by NMRA clearance standards.  I only run Transition area equipment, but can run modern....  when needed!

Tylerf

I also had that problem with my first layout, and after getting annoyed not being able to run my rapidly increasing number of modern equippment I had taken a rather harse saw to the obstructions, mainly tunnel portals. That was one of my great mistakes, along with tight curves that my new layout has done without. I figure as long as a overheight double stack and my auto-max's clear I should be good.

Jim Banner

My H0 layout is firmly set in 1961.  If someone complains that my railway's clearances are too low for their double stackers, they quickly get reminded that my train room door has plenty of height for them and their stackers to leave by.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

I have plenty of clearance on my railroad as there are no tunnels or upper level track. ;D

SteamGene

I agree with Jim.  If it was built after September, 1957 and doesn't fit - well, it doesn't fit.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

It is still September 1954 here, all the diesels still have shinny paint and are used it "sets" and the longest freight cars are the BRAND NEW 75' piggy back flats that carry two 32' vans - wow!

No containers, double stacks, high cubes or auto racks here either!

And the newest locos are two SD9's just delivered from LaGrange!

Sheldon

jsmvmd

Dear Jim, Gene and Sheldon:

I, too, am "Lost in the Fifties, Again."  Many fond memories of the banging, clanging and smoke of the Conway, PA yard!  Now sadly empty, except for some days when the joint is filled with rolling stock!

Best Wishes,

Jack