News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sd-40-2 bachmann dcc equip

Started by train with no shame, March 23, 2009, 07:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train with no shame

yes i do like using the search . when i bring my sd-40-2 0n while running the ft-a and sd-40 sante fa 's that came with the bachmann digital commander set . i can run my ge-70 tonner along with them no problems . when i bring the sd-40-2 bn .after a few times around the track everything stops . no shorts . controller goes to #1 then i can run again . i have ran different locos .trying to rule out which one is causing the problem . i bought the sd-40-2 from a local hobby shop .and was wondering about shelf life and i might have to do some maintenance .or i might be having and overload problem . the other 3 run fine . i also can run a 4-8-4 sante fa no problems . . .   also on the sd-40-2 it has i guess you would call it 6 - 6 . 6 wheels on each truck . i really like this loco . is there away to check the amp draw .so im not overloading the bachmann dcc controller . to see if this might be giving me a problem.

BestSnowman

I can think of a couple of things you can try:

1. Does the problem happen if you run the SD-40-2 by itself on the track?
2. Is it stopping in consistent locations on the track? (e.g. is it always stopping on a turnout)

As for it being and overload of the controller I'll have to defer to some of the more electrically inclined people on this board. I don't know of any reason why there would be a shelf life on a locomotive.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

train with no shame

yes it does stop by this one ez track standard turnout  and a #5 turnout .the others run fine the ft-a sd-40  and 70 tonner  . and it has stopped it has stopped when running by itself .more so when i have the other 2 trains running at the same time . the track just shuts down . i park the sd-40-2 .then can run as long as i wish . the reason i asked about shelf life is some of the shops around here some of the products .look like old stock . depending on where you go .  thanks for the feedback .ill try both again tommorrow .

BestSnowman

If it causes the problem when running by itself it we can narrow it down the problem a bit, and if its always stopping on a turnout it sounds like it might be causing a momentary short.

I'm guessing it is either creating a momentary short by while it goes through the turnout, if you can watch as close as possible as it goes through a turnout to make sure it is taking the proper path and not touching the wrong rail.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

grumpy

If you are running EZcommand your controller will only be able to handle 2-3 locos at once depending on the draw of the locos . Read the instructions that came with your EZcommand . You probably have overloaded your EZcommand with the extra loco.
Don

pdlethbridge

Every loco you have on the layout makes it harder for your ez command to operate. Take all locos off the track except the sd 40 and see how it runs. Add another loco and then see how that runs. If you add more it will overwork the ez command and cause problems.

train with no shame

the sd-40-2 does stop when running by itself.i ran on the 22" rad it stop after going into the #5 turnout . when i run on the inner 18" rad , the sd-40-2 stops on the standard turn out .no short just stops . it is still addressed to #3 . i have feeder wires going to the inner 18" rad mainline from the 22" maineline .and 2 other places on the layout .with the dcc being a/c current i dont have any shorts . i even ran with the lights out and looked for sparks when it stops . my controller will go back to #1 and i can run for alittle while . like i said the ft-a and the sd40 sante fa run fine . i will look at the #5 and the standard turnout . there close together and check the rail joiners . when i bought this loco .the owner said they got a shipment from bachmann . and i was wondering if this loco might have been sitting on a shelf and something might be bound causing it to overload ..

HO-Ron

Unless I am mistaken, the SD 40 - 2 is a Six Wheel engine. Going through a #5 Turnout I wonder if the trucks can deal with it. It makes me think that the "contact" with the rail is lost because it rides up on the frog.... ???? Six wheel diesels are not all that great on an small radius  :'(
Give it a check and see if the contact to the frog is being lost. Normally the back wheels will still be in contact and drive the engine from there so the fact that the front wheels have lost contact doesn't present a problem. If only one set of the drivers are in contact with the rail, that could explain why you stop.
Just an idea.. I have seen a lot of problems with six wheel diesels on what might be called small radius curves.
Best to you, HO-Ron
Regards, Ron

train with no shame

i took everything off the layout .and addressed the sd-40-2 to #5 on my ez commander . i ran the same direction i was having problems . i turned around the loco sd-40-2 and ran in the opposite direction and ran fine adding the ft-a and running the other sd-40 sante fa in the opposite direction . all 3 ran good arid 20 times around the track . then i turned the sd-40-2 around the original direction and same problem again . why would direction have an issue

train with no shame

hello everyone . my sd-40-2 i found .and thanks to all for the sugestions . i really need to fasten my track down . i built the layout from a plan from thortrains .a 4x8 second plan down the double loop .with the #5 and standard switches .when i turned the loco around  .i ran the sd-40-2 and it ran ok on both the inner and outter main line when i ran him in reverce .would have the problems in the turnouts .stoping the whole layout .i put a straight edge on the rail and found i have some uneven track from shorter pieces .making up the turnouts and some of the spurs . when i hold the standard turn out down and the #5 switch .in and around the layout in a few other places the sd-40-2 makes it in and out .with little or no problems ... and i did find i had a rear coupler hose that was hanging low . why all the problems with the couplers .on engines and rolling stock .i see alot of modelers having these issues .  but overall i need to fasten down the track and stop playing ..... but i want to go to a 5x9 foot layout .to help with curves and turnouts .from what im gathering from everyone ....thanks regards      mf