News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 gold rush the prospector

Started by lprzybyla, March 24, 2009, 01:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lprzybyla

does any one know where i can get more cars for it. i got it for Christmas when i as a kid. i can not find anything on it at all. i would like to know if it is rare, what it is worth, where i can get parts, manual, add-ons, or anything at all. the road name is Virginia & Truckee. thank you if you can tell me anything at all.

Joe Satnik

Dear lprzybyla,

I'm  not sure if Bachmann ever put out separate sale (regular set type pre-'Jackson Sharp') passenger cars that matched your set.

I know that your set is #90035, as it shows up in my 2001 catalog.  (Non-Annie coal burner, combine-observation, 9v battery lit.)

The only other V&T that I can quickly find is a wood-burner passenger set "Silverado" #90050, which is currently listed in the products section.  Gorgeous looking loco. 

If you could find a "Victor Gold Mining" 20' gondola, either as item #95747, or from a set break up, that would fit in nicely.

V&T has quite the history, though it is a standard gauge prototype, not narrow gauge. 

Read more, find out about their operations, and what other rolling stock they might have used.  You will probably have to re-letter/decal to V&T, as it is a stand alone short line, not connected with other standard gauge roads.

Loco Bill will know more.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Loco Bill Canelos

There was never a V&T Set Called the Gold Rush, but there was D&RGW set #90022 called by that name.   I believe the set you have is actually Called "The Prospector"  which does have a gold rush theme.  The Prospector a  new set for 1999 was produced to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the 1849 Gold Rush.  The set number was 90035.  Like other sets introduced in 1999 the 4-6-0 in this set was equipped with the more durable smooth running Version 5 chassis.  This set was in the catalog from 1999 to 2001.    The set was the only V&T set Bachmann made with a black locomotive, the other sets (90050 and 90090) had the more colorful wood burner.  All three V&T sets had the same two passenger cars combine #16 and observation #17.  A matching coach and a full baggage were available separately, but, as far as I know, were never in the catalog.  These extra cars are hard to find and rarely appear on Ebay.  The original MSRP was $300 and the discount mail order hobby shop price was $140.00.   The set still shows up on Ebay fairly regularly.  The price range on Ebay is from $60.00 to $105.00 and the average price is about $81.00.

It is also possible that you have a limited run set which was made for the Orchard Supply Hardware 70th Anniversary and was sold only in their stores.  It is exactly the same as the V&T Prospector Set right down to the packaging and set number with the exception of the combine which has the 70th Anniversary OSH logo added between the windows and the door.

You best bet to get the coach and full baggage is still EBay.  I would suggest you set up a want alert on Ebay, and see what shows up.

This is all I know from my research. Anyone who can add to this please let me know!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry I did forget to add that the V&T cars sold seperately are:

V&T Coach #97238 with the road number 18

V&T Full Baggage #97438 with road number 21

Also Bachmann never did make any V&T freight cars or a caboose.   I believe they would have great sellers had they done so

lprzybyla

do you where i can get spare parts at all.

Loco Bill Canelos

Contact the Bachmann Service department by telephone at 215-533-1600 and ask for parts dept