First Turnouts, Now Switches - Who do you prefer?

Started by OkieRick, March 24, 2009, 10:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

I found everyone likes their particular brand turnouts.  That's good - I'm looking for what brands and why if possible.

Again, not using EZ Track or EZ Track turnouts, what brand do you prefer and what brand switch do you like & use.  I found you like Peco, Shinohara, Atlas and are even making your own handlaid turnouts.

Do you use wired & powered ready-to-go switches on your turnouts?  How about turnouts then adding switches to them?  I priced Atlas, Peco and Shinohara powered & unpowered at a train only hobby store today located East of the Tulsa area about 55 miles from me.  Turnouts were reasnable but turnouts and the  switch of your choice (separate) were more expensive than powered turnouts.

I'll more than likely go with powered ready-to-wire turnouts.  More than likely Atlas.  Finding willing fingers as Spring & Summer comes on will be a tougher thing to do.  Oddly enough folks out here in rural OK would rather be out on a lake or just out fishing or swimming, playng golf or recreating in some other way after they've taken care of their livestock than leaning over an HO track setup in progress.
Imagine that...

Thanks for your input-
Okie Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

jward

because i make my own track, my switchpoints tend to need alot of effort to move. i have used older twin coil type switch motors like kemtron or nj, but those are no longer made. the tortoise, made by circuitron, has the power i need and is ultra reliable as well.

as important as the brand name is the type of switch motor. i prefer those that mount under the table. they are a bit more work to install, but look much better
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Yampa Bob

Rick,
I thought PD broke your stick, did Daisy fetch you a new one?  :D

For the time being I'm using the switches supplied with the Atlas turnouts. At some point I'd like to make a control console similar to Rick Willison's. I'm also using the supplied switch machines. Kinda cluttered I know, but I don't mind.  8)

I like your new choo-choo, man it's really trackin'.  
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Rick, I use Atlas code 83 switches and switch machines. They are 1/4 the size of a code 100 switch machine. They look and work real well. I have them connected to a Digitrax DS-64 unit that controls the switches and my hand held NCE power cab can control them. Each DS-64 can control up to 8 switches.

pdlethbridge

Yampa Bob

I just left it up long enough for you to see it.  :D :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jhanecker2

Since I have three different  Code 100 track systems , they came with the train sets I purchased ,  I decided  to utilize them for different  functions .   EZ track is going to be used for main line functions  where possible with corresponding EZ track turnouts. For terminals , coach ,  freight yards and  train servicing facilities I am going with Atlas Code 100 track , turnouts and accessories . These areas do not require ballasted roadbed and  can benefit from the greater variety of track section of shorter lengths and the ability to use flex track.  The Power-Lok track will be used for yards since they can be connected to EZ track with Power-Lok transition Adapters. Hope that Helps, John II

OkieRick

I'm Chug!
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

pdlethbridge